The bane of your fishkeeping existance!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate when my friend comes round and deliberately drops the algae magnet in the tank! So that means I have to remove the lids, take it out, and hide it from my friend!

I'd say DROP .. Kick .. his/ her head into the tank:D. Bet that'll solve that dilemma with the quickness(y).

I don't like when my three year old sister decides the tank is a perfect place to draw with her markers... The outside of the tank had huge blue streaks.

Nimo said:
This is my problem too! I need more money so I can have a bigger house and more tanks. Lol

I also hate it when a visitor comes to my house takes time to look at all 9 of my tanks and admire the fish in them and them they say you have beautiful fish tanks but why so many?

I recently sold a tank, the lady buying saw my DP bowfront and a 10g I have on the other side of my couch and said" somebody likes fish". I was like YOUR buying a tank from me! You must like fish too lol.

The lack of reliable, easy-to-find, properly organized information.
(This site is very helpful, but sometimes it would be really nice to be able to look up a list of plants or fish, sortable by whatever quality I'm curious about-size,temperature needs, water needs, light needs, etc.-in one place, not half a dozen because no one's list is complete.)

ownedbycats said:
The lack of reliable, easy-to-find, properly organized information.
(This site is very helpful, but sometimes it would be really nice to be able to look up a list of plants or fish, sortable by whatever quality I'm curious about-size,temperature needs, water needs, light needs, etc.-in one place, not half a dozen because no one's list is complete.)

1+ on the last sentence

I dislike cycling and its unpredictability. I was really hoping to have my fish by now (it has been 5 weeks) and I still have no noticeable ammonia drop. The other thing I dislike is the expense. I bought a 30 gallon tank and stand for 30 bucks but the final bill will be well over $300.

bud29 said:
I dislike cycling and its unpredictability. I was really hoping to have my fish by now (it has been 5 weeks) and I still have no noticeable ammonia drop. The other thing I dislike is the expense. I bought a 30 gallon tank and stand for 30 bucks but the final bill will be well over $300.

I did most of my 55g DIY and Craigslist style and off brand stuff and I still totaled I think like 500-600$ range! Expense isn't what I hate tho, I hate not having money to get the expensive stuff lol.

bud29 said:
I dislike cycling and its unpredictability. I was really hoping to have my fish by now (it has been 5 weeks) and I still have no noticeable ammonia drop.
It definitely can be unpredictable at times, but personally I do all of mine fish-in so there's no substantial waiting period.

If you want to feel better about all of the money spent then just take a look at the cost of a few saltwater setups.

Last edited:
absolutangel04 said:
I dislike how tall they make most tank stands. :(

Haha that's why I built mine only 2 ft high and this way I can reach comfortably down to the bottom of my 40g H. Also the water changes are much easier lol

Haha that's why I built mine only 2 ft high and this way I can reach comfortably down to the bottom of my 40g H. Also the water changes are much easier lol

Lol, I should have, but my carpentry skills are not up to par unfortunately. I just have to keep a chair handy.

I don't like plecos, they're just not for me. What also bugs me is people telling me what kinds I fish I need to get because "there's not enough in there."

Get a nice pair of stilts, much easier to manage.

Perfect! The solution to my bane! Now, I must think of a new fishkeeping bane.....
I hate it when my fish die while I am on vacation. I have had a few fish die while I have been gone, and I have no idea why because I was not here and my fish sitter did not know. Chances are that my fish sitters have accidentally killed most of them, but I would certainly like to know how....

MrPillow said:
Get a nice pair of stilts, much easier to manage.

I've thought about it. Didn't really think about how tall a 24" tank is once it is on a stand. Reaching the bottom or anything towards the back is difficult to say the least. I end up into the tank up to my shoulder.

I hate not having the money for stuff I want and the fact that I am renting where I live. Once I own my own house I can do stuff I really want to do, like put in a large in-wall tank or even just get a very large tank. I don't have the room for any more tanks or bigger upgraded tanks. Also, I know that I will be moving again eventually and I'll have to move my tanks again, which was a pain before I went and upgraded one of my tanks.

Alyxx said:
I've thought about it. Didn't really think about how tall a 24" tank is once it is on a stand. Reaching the bottom or anything towards the back is difficult to say the least. I end up into the tank up to my shoulder.

Oh my gosh yes!!! I literally have to take my shirt off every time I work on my tank! My mom looks at me like I'm an idiot! Especially when I forget to take my shirt up and my armpit gets soaked!! 39 gallon column wasn't my best idea ever lol I totally agree, 24" is a bit too deep lol

I also hate filters. They never are silent enough because my tank is in my room, my canister is golden, but my HOB Fluval is loud as can be, no matter how much I lube the impeller...grrrrrrrr so frustrating!

The lack of definite answers. It seems like we probably know some stuff, but the hobby lacks the ability, resources, and interest to actually know most things, especially in FW. Algae causes are a great example of this.

Back
Top Bottom