The bane of your fishkeeping existance!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freakgecko91 said:
Oh my gosh yes!!! I literally have to take my shirt off every time I work on my tank! My mom looks at me like I'm an idiot! Especially when I forget to take my shirt up and my armpit gets soaked!! 39 gallon column wasn't my best idea ever lol I totally agree, 24" is a bit too deep lol

I also hate filters. They never are silent enough because my tank is in my room, my canister is golden, but my HOB Fluval is loud as can be, no matter how much I lube the impeller...grrrrrrrr so frustrating!

Haha, I end up without a shirt more often than not. Even shirts with very short sleeves end up wet otherwise.

Another bane is starting a siphon. I haven't found the parts yet to rig my garden hose up to be a python, so my current water change method on the 56 is to start a siphon the old fashioned way, with my mouth, on a 50 foot garden hose just so I don't have to deal with so many buckets to change water on that tank. Just went outside and spent 15 minutes getting a siphon started, but now I get to sit back and watch the water level slowly get lower before I hook the hose up and refill. At least I have no worries about matching temp, it's so hot outside that the water in the hose comes out pretty warm. Man I need a python...

The bane of my fishkeeping experience is that I have something similar to the python, but my tank isn't close enough to a sink, so I still have to lug 5 gallon buckets up and down stairs. -_-

Haha, I end up without a shirt more often than not. Even shirts with very short sleeves end up wet otherwise.

Another bane is starting a siphon. I haven't found the parts yet to rig my garden hose up to be a python, so my current water change method on the 56 is to start a siphon the old fashioned way, with my mouth, on a 50 foot garden hose just so I don't have to deal with so many buckets to change water on that tank. Just went outside and spent 15 minutes getting a siphon started, but now I get to sit back and watch the water level slowly get lower before I hook the hose up and refill. At least I have no worries about matching temp, it's so hot outside that the water in the hose comes out pretty warm. Man I need a python...

Get a big old horse syringe (500ml) or turkey baster to draw water up and over the tank edge. Or you can fill the hose halfway with tap water, tilt the hose until you have water going into the tank then just drop it, the siphon should start without using your mouth.

*Edit oh you're using a garden hose. My solution is to take another garden hose with a jet attachment, and just shoot water up the drain hose to fill it up and that should be enough to start a vacuum.

Last edited:
Currently I'm going on my 3rd hour of boiling my new driftwood. It's a beautiful piece, but this boiling is driving me nuts!!! It kind of looks like a baby pig.

Attachments

• image-582899119.jpg
    image-582899119.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 91
Petsmart/petco associates thinking I know nothing since I am 18 and look 16 :D

Edit: *any fish store associate, but mostly the chains because they "suggest" fish that are totally incompatible with my tank

Oh my gosh, yes! I'm almost 15, and people at pet stores act like I don't know how to do my research for my tanks.

Tetra1990 said:
Currently I'm going on my 3rd hour of boiling my new driftwood. It's a beautiful piece, but this boiling is driving me nuts!!! It kind of looks like a baby pig.

I'm not sure if that piece is adorable or creepy. I like it...

That does look like a pig ... Looks like Mopani .... Have fun! Your in for some more hours of boiling!

I agree it does look like a pig. I have a big piece of driftwood that looks like the classic stance of a chocolate bunny.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
I hate electricity + outlets

Oh goodness yes. I recently moved and the only outlet was across the door jam in the other room. I had the brilliant idea of running the extension cord under the carpet. Took 20 minutes and lo and behold.... It was the wrong way and completely useless. I'm not going to lie... I started crying.

I don't think that there is anything that I "hate" about fishkeeping. There are times where things can get irritating but some of the downfalls have helped me improve as a fish keeper, I don't really view them as a hatred but more of a stepping stone in the learning experience. I love everything about my tanks, the research, the aquascaping, the PWC's, even testing my water, I don't mind any of it :)
Money is and always will be an issue with the hobby but I make due with what I have and have hopes of a deal coming my way in time. All good things come to those who wait, you just have to be patient.

I guess if I was to put a dislike to the topic it would be the fact that my tetras like to sea-dive out of the tank, they blend into the carpet and I don't usually find them til its too late :( don't know how they do it but they do.

Being a young hobbyist...

- less money
- less room
- parent's veto power
- no other college/high school kid is going to spend hours talking/debating about fish tanks
- lack of respect at lfs's (posted before)
- ect.

Also the smell of prime... :shudder:

Back
Top Bottom