The best medium for pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerhead911

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been trying to establish a decent level of pods in my tank. I put in an in-tank fuge, about three months. I was keeping a ball of cheato(sp?) in there. I have yet to see a growth in pods. My tank has been up and running for about one year. I was thinking about ordering a pod starter culture. Is this a good idea? If so, is there a better medium to put in my fuge for the pods to thrive in?

My personal experience/observation... they like hair algae, although not what you want all over your tank. And they like foam filters when not on a pump (like the kind you'd slip over a powerhead intake).

Foam is good. Small live rock chunks is good aswell. Basicly anything thats porus and they can hide in and around.

They also like shells. If you throw a handful of empty snail shells to the back of your tank they'll likely take up residence in and around there.

I have also heard that pods reproduce faster in dark or dimly lit conditions.

I very rarely see pods in my main. I see them everywhere in my frag tank and fuge though. There are no predators in those areas.

Back
Top Bottom