The cycling saga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurakecken09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I’ve been cycling my 25 gallon freshwater tank for 2.5 weeks now. This tank is also planted. Had ammonia spike, nitrite spike and nitrates. Checked the levels this morning..0 ammonia, 2 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates..felt like my tank water was a tad low so I added two gallons of water. Treated and added some stability to it. I also have to add baking soda because I have acidic water. While doing this I decided to quickly rinse my filter under water then I dipped in treated water (with api stress coat + stability) and then put the filter back in. Waited probably 8 hours and checked to see if the nitrites changed at all. Completely zero nitrites. I decided to wait until tomorrow and I’m going to retest everything. Did this push my tank over to being cycled? Or is this the result of diluting it some? Did the baking soda drop the level? The questions never end ?

Initially I was dosing with the Dr. Tim’s instructions. I was getting >5 then. I haven’t dosed with ammonia since 3/16. I haven’t done the cycling out thing because this is the first time I’ve had my nitrite go down.

Checked my levels this morning. pH 8.4, ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20

Ill post some proper instructions on how to do a fishless cycle. Could i ask if there is a reason for the fishless cycle? We get a lot of traffic here with people struggling to get their cycle established, and by far more people have issues with fishless than fish in.

Redose ammonia back up to 2ppm. Follow instructions in next post.

To cycle a tank you need to grow denitrifying bacteria to consume ammonia and nitrite that your tank produces. The bacteria needs an ammonia source to grow colonies sufficient in size to consume all the ammonia and resultant nitrite and turn it into nitrate which typically you remove through your regular water changes.

A fishless cycle uses an ammonia source to replicate the fish waste that a tank of fish would produce. This ammonia source can be pure ammonia, an aquarium specific ammonium chloride product like Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride, a cocktail shrimp or fish food.

Ill assume we are using an ammonium chloride product.

Set up your tank. Make sure everything is running smoothly. Make sure you have used a water conditioner product with any tap water you have put in your tank. If you have an adjustable heater raise the temperature to 28c/82.5f.

You should have a test kit. Preferably a liquid test kit. It should test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Dose the ammonia chloride to approx 4ppm and start testing daily for ammonia. Once your ammonia drops below 1ppm redose it back to 2ppm. This may take a couple of weeks.

Start to test daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Whenever your ammonia drops below 1ppm redose it back to 2ppm.

You should start to see nitrite and possibly nitrate in your daily tests. Over time your nitrite should start to rise and the amount of ammonia should start to drop further. Your ammonia may start to not be detectable in your daily tests. Keep redosing ammonia daily if you see it below 1ppm. Your nitrite may rise off the testing chart. I prefer to keep nitrite within measurable levels so it shouldn’t hurt to do a water change to keep readings on the chart. Remember to add water conditioner whenever you put tap water in the tank. Nitrate should appear in your water test at some point too.

Over time your nitrite should level off and begin to fall in a similar manner to what your ammonia tests did. When you are able to dose ammonia to 2ppm and 24 hours later see 0 ammonia and nitrite you are cycled. At this point you have enough denitrifying bacteria to consume all the ammonia and nitrite of a moderately stocked tank. You may want to continue dosing ammonia for a few days to make sure it continues to consume all the ammonia and nitrite and be sure your cycle has properly established before proceeding.

Your nitrate will likely be very high. Do a big water change to get nitrate down. Preferably below 10ppm. Adjust your temperature to the needs of your fish. Get your fish, acclimate and add to your tank. I would advise stocking lightly to start with and slowly adding fish until fully stocked.

A fishless cycle typically takes 6 to 8 weeks.

A good way to speed up this process would be to put a small amount of filter media from an established filter into your filter, or get a sponge from an established filter and squeeze it into your tank water. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some? This will seed your filter with the bacteria you are trying to grow and speed up the process.

Another option is bottled bacteria like Dr Tims One + Only or Tetra Safestart. These products wont instantly cycle a tank as they claim but in a similar manner to adding established filter media they can seed your filter with the bacteria you are trying to grow to establish your cycle. These products are hit and miss as to whether they work at all, but are an option if established filter media isnt obtainable and may speed up the process from several months to several weeks.

So the reason for the fishless cycle is because this initially started as a 5 gallon fish tank for my 4 year old to a 25 gallon hobby for me ? In the beginning we killed about 6 fish and then started some in depth research regarding the fishless cycle. We made a stop into a fish store one day after beginning the “cycling” and bought the ammonia and started dosing..although I left out the one & only bacteria so it didn’t work. So I just continued testing and added in the stability which pushed things along. I feel like I’m pretty close if I’m now at a nitrite of 0 and nitrate of 10-20 so I’d rather not essentially start over. But also hope the ammonia goes back down over night.

Your ammonia might go down overnight, but i very much doubt the nitrite will. Lets see what happens.

1ppm ammonia goes to 2.7ppm nitrite. So 2ppm ammonia will go to 5.4ppm nitrite. So far your nitrite has only been observed to drop from 2ppm and that was after a water change.

But my nitrite is 0? And I haven’t done a water change in about a week. I added about 2 gallons of water to my tank because it looked a bit low. My issue is that my nitrite was 2 then went to 0 from a period of 8 hours WITH the addition of 2 gallons. So far it has consistently stayed 0.

Ok sorry. Nevertheless you topped up water which will have brought down its concentration.

I have no doubt your cycle is removing some nitrite. That would be expected after 2 to 3 weeks. I dont think it will have established enough to process out all the resultant nitrite that 2ppm ammonia will produce in 24 hours.

Its staying at 0 because you havent added in any more ammonia.

So would you recommend dosing the ammonia and then seeing how it moves it along and then adding fish? Or should I add 3-4 tetras to give that ammonia source?

Its up to you.

If you want to complete your fishless cycle, test daily, keep dosing ammonia to 2ppm every time it drops below 1ppm. If your test shows 0 ammonia and nitrite in your test the following day you are cycled. That could be tomorrow, i would expect it to be another 3 or 4 weeks though. Only way to know is to redose and see how things are tomorrow.

If you want to get your fish, do a big water change and get a small number of fish and complete your cycle as a fish in cycle. You wont be starting from scratch as you will have some cycle established from your fishless cycle efforts.

I would at least redose ammonia and see where you are tomorrow.

Okay I will dose again. I only know the Dr. Tim’s guidelines…how do I know I’m doing ppm?

You are using Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride? There is instructions on the bottle (or in the box) on how many drops are needed. Its something like 4 drops per gallon to raise ammonia by 2ppm (2mg/litre they are the same thing). Should be a simple calculation to scale up to your tank volume. Confirm the ammonia with a water test shortly after dosing once its had chance to mix thoroughly.

Yes I am. I’ll have to double check and read my bottle. Thank you! I’ll update tomorrow if you’re still vested ?

Dosed with ammonia up to 2ppm yesterday. Checked it a couple hours later and it was indeed 2ppm. Just checked it this morning and it’s still 2ppm and zero nitrites. I didn’t check nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom