The DSB: Myth, Fad, or For Real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

There is so much "Hoopla" on Deep Sand Beds. In your opinion, a DSB is:

• The best option we have for substrate right now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's just a "fad" that will fade soon. It's really overrated.

• It's the "In" thing to do! Everyone else says it's great, so it must be...

• Who cares?

• Your CC will be just fine.

• Total voters

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend owns a LFS where I live. I was talking to him today about doing a DSB because I currently have CC, and I was thinking of switching over to a DSB. We talked for about 15 minutes on the subject and he basically says that the DSB is the latest "fad" and it's really not that beneficial or that big of a deal.

What do you guys think?

I have to disagree with your friend. I wouldn't call a 20 year evolution a fad. A DSB has its place in reef keeping and is here to stay. It has given the educated aquarist the opportunity to keep more challenging species of marine life than ever before.

I have to disagree with your friend. I wouldn't call a 20 year evolution a fad. A DSB has its place in reef keeping and is here to stay. It has given the educated aquarist the opportunity to keep more challenging species of marine life than ever before.

Ditto :mrgreen:

I am wondering why you say that you can keep more species with a dsb? I have done a lot of reading on this topic and have never heard that. If that was the case then everyone would have one. Like anything else in this hobby you will have people that swear by them and people that would never do one. I don't think that anyone can say with any certainty that you should or shouldn't. I have a very healthy aquarium and I don't use a dsb and I'm sure others do to. As well with a dsb. The decision is entirely up to you.

A well maintained tank with a DSB will easily keep your nitrates close to 0 which is near NSW. Many lifeforms will not tolerate or thrive with measurable nitrates in a closed environment.

Synthetic salt mix is so far from nsw it isn't even funny. As far as nitrate a dsb isn't the only way or the best way to eliminate nitrate.

Edmonton Eskimo said:
Synthetic salt mix is so far from nsw it isn't even funny.

It certainly is. It contains none of the pollutants and bad guys you find in ocean waters. Start backing up your posts with some factual information that readers can benefit from.

phases99 said:
Edmonton Eskimo said:
Synthetic salt mix is so far from nsw it isn't even funny.

It certainly is. It contains none of the pollutants and bad guys you find in ocean waters. Start backing up your posts with some factual information that readers can benefit from.

Why don't you get your facts straight first. Not only does it not contain pollutants it doesn't contain a lot of other things as well want facts? http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/rs/feature/index.htm

My post was referring to the nitrate levels of NSW. Organisms have adjusted to synthetic sea salts just fine. Nitrates are another story. Stop trying to complicate this whole DSB thing. Your are here to pick a fight and have no interest in helping anybody out. Please stop wasting bandwidth.

I'm not the one trying to pick a fight. This isn't the first time all mighty phases 99 has attacked my post. I am trying to help and learn as much as the next guy and I notice that certain people are attacking otheers. I don't appreciate being scrutinized. I'm not an expert and never try to be one. I don't say anything on this site that I don't believe to be true. We are supposed to be conversing and trying to help each other out and I'm sorry if I get angry when some know it all is trying to tell me my information is useless. I didn't realize if my opinion contradicts yours that you can attack others. My opinion is mine and yours is yours and if you don't agree then let's discuss it.

Thats funny..I don't have a problem with nitrates and..Whoa I don't have a DSB either.. All in all its a matter of preference.. DSB or no DSB a SW Reef can be quite successful and neither are better than the other.. Biggest difference is look..Thats all.. Been doing SW for years and have done DSB, SSB, and CC.. And to be honest. If you maintain the tank like your supposed to..They all end up with the same results..

Edmonton Eskimo said:
... when some know it all is trying to tell me...
It's comments like this that we are refering to. That is a personal attack and is A) Uncalled for. B) A violation of the UA. C) doesn't further the discussion of the pros and cons of a DSB.

Again, to ALL involved: Mature debate is welcome and helpful to all. This can be accomplished WITHOUT any personal attacks or inflamatory remarks.

now for my opinion on DSBs :D . No they're not "necessary" and I honestly don't have books of facts and test results, but what I do have is my experiences with mine. I have a 55 gallon tank with NO external equipment and I have near 0 nitrates all the time. I have practically no maintenance to perform. So, IMO, a DSB is a god send that made having a reef both easy and affordable for me.

JMO

honestly, the whole dsb thing scares me- pockets of anoxic gas and the possibility of your whole tank crashing... ive always been fine with some macro algae and a couple inches of sand.

just IMO, IME

but a collection of sand sifting stars/snails should prevent anaerobic gas pockets from forming in the first place.

gotz_potential said:
Thats funny..I don't have a problem with nitrates and..Whoa I don't have a DSB either.. All in all its a matter of preference.. DSB or no DSB a SW Reef can be quite successful and neither are better than the other.. Biggest difference is look..Thats all.. Been doing SW for years and have done DSB, SSB, and CC.. And to be honest. If you maintain the tank like your supposed to..They all end up with the same results..

Could you elaborate what methods you find are best to keeping nitrates down?

I have CC and my nitrates suck. At this point i think anything would help me :lol: I think my fish have just got used to them being 40-80. I have tryed every thing in the book. DSB is my last resort :biglol:

I was hesitant to use it after the horror stories out there about tank crashes. I have never had super high nitrate, usually running abour 20. After adding the DSB, they had dropped within a few weeks to nearly zero.
So far, I'm a believer.

Ummm... Why would dsb do anything for the nitrates? I have regular black tahitian moon sand in the aquarium, and yea I have some nitrates, but the tanks fine, but to tell you the truth I think that you should atleast try and change your CC bed into a sand bed, because the CC will trap in food and other wastes, and raise nitrates like that :wink:

Why would dsb do anything for the nitrates?

The bacteria that consume nitrates lives in a low oxygen enviroment. in a deep sand bed of say 3-4" or more, the bottom layers of the sand bed is poor in oxygen, hence the bacteria that consum nitrates thrive in this area. now you could run with no sand at all if you have enough live rock.

Back
Top Bottom