The DSB: Myth, Fad, or For Real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

There is so much "Hoopla" on Deep Sand Beds. In your opinion, a DSB is:

• The best option we have for substrate right now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's just a "fad" that will fade soon. It's really overrated.

• It's the "In" thing to do! Everyone else says it's great, so it must be...

• Who cares?

• Your CC will be just fine.

• Total voters
People whom have problems with their DSB's do so because they either have the sand bed to deep or dont have enough sand sifting critters in the tank. These critters would include worms, mini stars, amphipods and copepods amongst other small inverts. These sifters will keep the sand from becomming a toxic bomb waiting to explode.

I personally run DSB's on my tanks and one of teh tanks I have running now is going on its 4th year. I know many others who have DSb's in tanks much older than this.

I would definatly not call it a fad.

hey billy nothing like taking something out of context eh? You call that a personal attack but not what was said to me?

Both of you got a bit out of line. It's over and this discussion is moving along fine now. Let's forget about it and call it a heated moment that should not have happened. Instead, let's stick to the subject at hand, which is DSB's, and if we can not agree on any or all points, then we can all take satisfaction in having stated our opinion. Further discussion of the few posts in question should be avoided. :!:
I maintain a 180 with a DSB. So far, I have had no problems with it. Nitrates remain at 0. Fish and corals are happy. Sandbed is full of life. I wouldn't hesitate to set up another tank with a DSB.

Their have always been the two mindsets. The fact is that DSB's have been around for many years and only on a rare occasion do you see people posting about problems as a result of toxic gas buildup in the DSB.

As an opinion: The DSB is not a fad at all, but it is indeed a matter of preference and maintenence. Without quoting, someone asked about the ability to keep different form of life or greater ability with the DSB. I connot speak of that but I can speak of the opposite. Take elegance and gonipora species for example. They used to be "staple" easy to care for corals. Now they have become some of the more difficult species to keep. There is subjective evidence that these are "dirty water" corals and IMO have become harder to keep because of the advances in water husbandry and our systems are cleaner today then they were in years past.

A DSB will reduce nitrates, this is proven. A DSB is a nutrient sink, but can be maintained with fauna as FF points out above. Yes there are other methods and sure they work. We as hobbiest simply have more options for sucess in the hobby.

R-

It's interesting that you mention that Sumphead. My LFS recently talked me out of getting a Gonipora because he said my water parameters were too good. Who ever would have thought?

just from what ive been seeing and not attacking anything anybody has said here...

it seems a lot of reefers, esp those heavily into corals, have been going back to BB tanks with just starboard to prevent glass breaks, and heavy skimming and powerful filtration andflow. it just seems to me like this makes much more sense- remove waste before it has a chance to break down, poop is not a pet, i dont want it in my tank.

of course it is really a matter of personal opinion. i think that both work fine. for those who feel more comfortable dealing with the natural, then a DSB is probably for you, and if your into the mechanical part of reefing, then BB is probably for you. also its a matter of asthetics, and what you plan to keep in the tank.

for difficult corals like SPS, i would probably go BB to reduce the amount of nusicance algae, phosphates, and nitrates that can sometimes pop up with DSBs, and also because they like extremely high flow and i dont want my sand being blown all over the tank.

then there is people that swear by using an inch of sand or CC, i personally think thats best for fish only tanks or tanks with a few soft corals.

i really think its up to you and that you make it work or not.

JMHO

Well said Ms. Kate.

Phases are you telling me a LFS actually talked you out of buying something?!? And based on good advice? Wow, that's a rarity.

R-

As an opinion: The DSB is not a fad at all, but it is indeed a matter of preference and maintenence. Without quoting, someone asked about the ability to keep different form of life or greater ability with the DSB. I connot speak of that but I can speak of the opposite. Take elegance and gonipora species for example. They used to be "staple" easy to care for corals. Now they have become some of the more difficult species to keep. There is subjective evidence that these are "dirty water" corals and IMO have become harder to keep because of the advances in water husbandry and our systems are cleaner today then they were in years past.

Sumphead was just saying that DSB isnt really as natural as NSW because it keeps water quality too high. CC is fine, but it will trap poop and food which will cause more nitrates, but a inch high sand bed isnt only for fowl
A DSB will reduce nitrates, this is proven. A DSB is a nutrient sink, but can be maintained with fauna as FF points out above. Yes there are other methods and sure they work. We as hobbiest simply have more options for sucess in the hobby.

So basically what you are saying, is that DSB isnt really imitating NSW because NSW is "Dirty" and has nitrate, which some corals are used to and when they are put in a very clean environment, they wont like it.
i think that both work fine. for those who feel more comfortable dealing with the natural, then a DSB is probably for you, and if your into the mechanical part of reefing, then BB is probably for you. also its a matter of asthetics, and what you plan to keep in the tank.

for difficult corals like SPS, i would probably go BB to reduce the amount of nusicance algae, phosphates, and nitrates that can sometimes pop up with DSBs, and also because they like extremely high flow and i dont want my sand being blown all over the tank.

then there is people that swear by using an inch of sand or CC, i personally think thats best for fish only tanks or tanks with a few soft corals.

i really think its up to you and that you make it work or not.

JMHO

Sumphead was just saying that DSB isnt really natural, because NSW is more of a dirtier water than an environment with DSB which would be too good water quality for some corals, that prefer a close to NSW environment. I do believe CC isnt all that great, because it captures food and waste, and raise nitrates. 1" sand bed isnt just for fish only, I think it is for a more of a NSW sand, because it will cause nitrates which some corals like, and keep them in the middle, because 1" of sand wont really trap any food or waste, and it wont keep the system too clean, I think it would be actually pretty close to NSW, but that is my opinion :D

Not exactly. While some corals do fair better in an enviorment with 'dirty' water many more corals prefer a less dirty enviorment.

Wow, good debate! I have a question. How do you know if your DSB if functioning properly. How do you check for that? I know I have tons of the brown "fleas" or pods, but not many tiny white ones (copepods). I do not know if I have mini stars or worms as I have not seen either but they WERE put into my tank. Do I just take a sample and sift threw it or can I tell by looking at the sand layers on the glass?

TIA

Mary

Oh yea, I did some reaserch, and xenia love water with some nitrates, they are found in the ocean by sewer entries sometimes LOL :wink:

sorry to be pirating the thread here but since we are on the subject of microfauna, does anybody have any links to pics of pods? i got some critters i want to ID!

I really didn't get the gist of SWTeen's post... *shrugs* All I ask is that words are not put in my mouth, nor taken out of context. I never said a DSB isn't natural. The fact of the matter is none of our tanks are "natural" so to speak. The natural reefs we so daringly try to mimic are low in organics and high in oxygen. Where our psuedo reefs are high in organic matter and low in oxygen. There is also no direct proof that the DSB is the reason some previous easily kept species are more difficult now. It is simply a theory.

Just so we are strait on my thoughts of the matter; It is merely a matter of preference. Hobbyists have had great success with all types of substrates. The maintenence involed with each is completely different. I have used DSBs and with no issues at all (granted I haven't had one more than 2 years). I have run SSB with no issues. I am running a shallow bed now with a removeble DSB fuge and love every minute of it. Of course I can pull mine out at the first sign of problems too.

HTH,
R-

If I were to set up another large tank, I think that's how I would do it. A SSB in the main tank with a big fuge containing the DSB. That would seem to give you the benefits of the DSB while eliminating some of the risks. JMHO.

clowninround said:
Wow, good debate! I have a question. How do you know if your DSB if functioning properly. How do you check for that? I know I have tons of the brown "fleas" or pods, but not many tiny white ones (copepods). I do not know if I have mini stars or worms as I have not seen either but they WERE put into my tank. Do I just take a sample and sift threw it or can I tell by looking at the sand layers on the glass?

TIA

Mary

I knew mine was working when my nitrates fell to 0. I think it took around 6 weeks or so after the initial cycle. It sounds as though you have added some valuable critters. You may not always notice them. I would let your water params be the guide to if it is functioning properly.

Back
Top Bottom