The Fertility Clinic Needs Some Pointers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They kind of remind me of some cupid cichlids I had towards the front. What color are they mostly towards the nose?

No color near the nose really; mostly grayish with a hint of blue irridescence. This isn't the best pic, but you can see what I mean:

MantisX said:
They kind of remind me of some cupid cichlids I had towards the front. What color are they mostly towards the nose?

You're right, Mantis. I saw a tank of cupid cichlids recently and thought, "Hey, those look sorta like my rams!" The Bolivians are WAY more colorful, though, and not NEARLY as aggressive!

Let's see, Alli... mine are in a heavily planted tank (you wouldn't believe how it has grown since adding CO2!), PH/KH and temp should be to their liking. My substrate is Schultz Aquatic Potting Soil, which is very lightweight (good for digging). I have flat rocks in the tank, the plants offer a lot of dimly lit spots (which I've read they prefer), the only fish in the tank bigger than them is the bristlenose pleco. Oh, I dunno... :(

I probably have two males. They've recently resumed their "ramming" of each other. They must have had a truce for a while but the feud has continued. I couldn't add only one female to the tank even if I were to find one I was sure about, as this would just increase their aggression towards each other.

Well, I'm happy for YOU anyway! And if you want to get rid of any of those babies, you know who to send 'em to! ;)

I like that Alli. Some of would look nice with my discus :)

If they make it Brian, some of em are yours :)

I certainly don't have room for 80-100 rams in this place LOL and your close enough to pick em up *grin* I wish you were closer Madame. I obviously have never shipped before and am pretty unsure about doing that. But I'd rather see em go to the folk here then a lfs (assuming again, they make it LOL).

Overnight shipping and good packing is almost a sure thing everytime. You mostly have problems when they are in transit more than a day. With that said, id like 5. :lol: I bet if you bred them around enough, you could probably turn the blue speckle into a fully blue nose. That would be super cool.

LOL i dont think I have the time or space to do a full breeding experiment Mantis! And its the whole setup for shippin that concerns me, especially this time of year (sub zero temps this week!).

No worries, Alli... I was kidding (well, MOSTLY kidding anyway!). My LFS has them regularly and I could always pick up some more if I thought it was the thing to do. Hubby is thinking I should go get four and put them in the QT for a while, and see if they pair off. (Obviously, that wouldn't be a permanent home at all.)

I'm just looking forward to watching yours develop! I expect plenty of pics along the way. :D

LOL You guys don't understand; what am I gonna do with all those rams if they fry survive? I am SORELY unprepared for them; don't have enough tanks to house all of em if they make it, don't have a deal with any lfs to sell em there, and while theres a coupla folk interested in some rams, if they all make it we're talkin 80-100 of the lil buggers LOL

I wish I DID know how, and was comfortable, with shipping; I'd much rather give em to you all. Then I'd know they were going to good homes.

Somehow I think you can find homes for them, if they survive. They are a very desirable fish, at least around here, and if you see them at the LFS they are GONE very soon. Wait and see, and if it looks like you have more babies than you can deal with, there are lotsa folks here who can assist you in the shipping thing. No Worries!

Ahhhh! These guys are NOT following the rules; I woke up this morning to free swimming fry LOL I KNEW they were going to be zipping around long before they were supposed to; thats been the pattern so far *grin*

I have no idea if they'll make it, so I grabbed a few pics while I could :)

And if anyone has any idea what I can feed em that would be great. I have some BBS, but supposedly they're too small to eat it. The infusoria I started isn't anywhere near being ready, and I can't find LiquiFry #1.

I have heard you can feed fry flake food if you grind it very very fine. Have also heard people recommend Hikari first bites as well. Good luck!

LFSs, in my experience, really like buying locally raised fish. Usually better cared for than a lot of farmed fish and they are already used to the local water

BTW I was at the LFS last night and they have blue 'lionesque'? Rams. Beautiful, colorful like the ones I have seen pix of here but with LONG trailing fins. Man, I wish I had some tank space :(

Careful what you wish for Enki :wink: The aquariums have taken over my house :roll: LOL

Theres only one lfs (and its not that local - 45 mins away LOL) that I trust these guys to; the ones that are closer are just not up to par. Is why I'd rather see em go to you folks, if I could figure out how!

I spoke to Dino (works with Bernie over at The Lighthouse; a lfs in Tn and one of our sponsers) and he suggested I try straining egg yolk thru some fine cloth; I'll be giving that a go later today. He also felt, since the tank is a mature tank, theres prob enough microorganisms to support the fry for a while *fingers crossed*

Some more pics here for those interested: http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/Allis-rams?page=3

So you have room for some rams Brian? *grin* If these lil buggers make it, you better! LOL

Allivymar...

I agree with Dino. Back in the old days I never worried about the first week or so when my baby Rams began swimming. As long as they're in a 'mature' tank then there are undoubtedly plenty of micro-critters available for your little tykes!

*smirks*

And thanx Fruit; kinda eases my mind. While I was NOT expecting to be breeding rams LOL I do want to give them a chance. Good to know they shouldn't starve initially while the BBS sets up and they get large enough to eat it. I'm gonna pick up some fry food if I can find some today as a backup, but between yours and Dinos advice I'm not so worried bout it all :)

Shame your so far away and I don't deliver Fruit LOL You're welcome to some as well.

Those are awesome. I think I got something in my eye. :) I used to feed my blue rams water and flake food mixed well. When it hits the water, it gets very fine. Now comes the fun part for you. You get to watch the parents lead them around to food and suck them up and spit them out!! When I first saw that, I knew my fry were gonners, but they were cleaning them!

P.S. I have plants and money. I want bolivians! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom