The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and here are a few more guppy pics (I reached my maximum quota on the previous post)
img_1752565_0_591bb2b39a68018bb8f77aed2c9274b6.jpg

img_1752565_1_658c25a2f09ddbc8ca8a8ea6c8f8148b.jpg

img_1752565_2_fba67ee81ad46bd5e487ce280f864509.jpg

The tank is looking really great! All the plants look nice and full, yet trimmed. But cards look good and healthy. Good luck with SAE. Let us know how that goes. I do not know much about them because I have never kept them.
No idea about the eye thing. If its a deformity, there probably nothing you can do about it.
The guppy on the left looks amazing! What neat colors. :) Thanks for the update.

The tank is looking really great! All the plants look nice and full, yet trimmed. But cards look good and healthy. Good luck with SAE. Let us know how that goes. I do not know much about them because I have never kept them.
No idea about the eye thing. If its a deformity, there probably nothing you can do about it.
The guppy on the left looks amazing! What neat colors. :) Thanks for the update.

Thanks! I just trimmed this week actually, planted some clippings of wisteria and rotala and hope they grow.

Thank you! I like my cardinals too. The one with the deformity is starting to look paler than the others, I don't think he'll make it.

Hopefully I will have like with the SAE, hopefully! :)

Those are sick* guppies! I love the one in the third pic. (s)he's like a rainbow color!

*sick meaning cool. :D:cool:

Wow bruins, looks flippin AWESOME dog!!! Im lovin the rotala forest! Thanks for the update, hope you did well on those finals:)

Those are sick* guppies! I love the one in the third pic. (s)he's like a rainbow color!

*sick meaning cool. :D:cool:

Thanks!!! :)

Wow bruins, looks flippin AWESOME dog!!! Im lovin the rotala forest! Thanks for the update, hope you did well on those finals:)

I know, I love the rotala too! I wanna keep it growing so that hopefully I can get some money by selling some clippings of it :)

Wow..... Great tank! The tank looks very big even though its only 40 g right? Sweeet!

Yep, only 40 G, although it looks a lot bigger! My mom is convinced it's 70 Gallons :D

I agree with NuNu. The plants add depth to it so it looks bigger. :)

I agree. Hopefully I can get a good carpet going.

wow! your tank puts mine to shame lol... i love the setup!

Thank you!!! :)

I will have to post a video for you guys one day.

How many stems of the rotala did you buy at first? It must have grown alot!!

It has, a lot. I originally bought about five-six bunches of it for my thirty gallon, and then after I got the forty, I did a bit of aquascaping and decided it should be all in one place. It's been growing for about four/five months, and it has gotten a lot denser than it originally was :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
It has, a lot. I originally bought about five-six bunches of it for my thirty gallon, and then after I got the forty, I did a bit of aquascaping and decided it should be all in one place. It's been growing for about four/five months, and it has gotten a lot denser than it originally was :)

Awesome! Im getting 6 stems any day now!

Wow how things have changed.

Where do I even begin...

The CO2 is a good place to start, I guess. This has been a problem for me. I assembled it with airline tubing, got the check valve and placed it between tubing, put it in the intake, and BAM! plant growth explodes. It was crazy. I was crazy about it.

After a week, I cleaned it, refilled it with 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup yeast and 1/4 cup baking soda like I always do, went away for the weekend on Friday, came back Sunday...

And I was not crazy about it. The tank was beyond cloudy and I couldn't even see the fish. I didn't bother to check the parameters because I knew something was up since all the fish were gasping for air. I did several massive water changes over the next two days to get the tank clearer. My biggest problem was the hair algae. I had underestimated it. It was A LOT more widespread than I had thought, and although the CO2 had killed it, it didn't demolish it. It left it in a melted state that fouled up the entire tank and made it smell rancid like rotten eggs.

I also managed to kill my ram. Whoop-dee-doo. I'm still cleaning out algae bits and such but it's a little better now, although the tank is still a little soupy. After adding a boats load of Excel and other ferts, the melted algae went away for the most part.

What sucked about the CO2 was the java moss. It just went out of whack that too much was growing and started covering the intake, and stopped the filter. It was either all dead or covered in algae, so I had to trim it down a lot and take out a lot too.

And while the CO2 did wonders for the rotala and ludwiga, it nearly melted my crypt to bits.

For now I am laying back on the CO2 until I figure it out.

Aqua-chem, or anyone, do you have any idea what caused this? My recipe (which I found online for 2L bottles), my lighting (8-10 hours), my water changes (once a week), my diffusion method? I really want to know.

Sorry for such a dismal update.

But not for long.

As there have been some things going behind in the background...

We'll see ;)

Well, I can't help you at all with the co2, so I won't even pretend I can. Lol.
I am really sorry about your ram though! Is the other stick still doing ok?

Well, let me start of by saying that I'm feeling you with the loss of your Ram. I just lot my female, and I was/am super sad about it.

But something doesn't add up here. CO2 just doesn't do that. It sounds like you had some swing in water conditions (which would explain the crypt melt).

Two things to ask about your CO2. One, how are you diffusing? Is it your airline stuck in a powerhead or something like that? Two, are you using a burp bottle of some sort? It might be possible that you had a bunch of DIY gunk find its way into the tank, setting off the problems you've experienced.

Also, the bad eggs thing is something to be concerned about. Check around your substrate for anaerobic pockets, especially if you're using sand. What kind of substrate are you using again? And how deep is it.

Well, I can't help you at all with the co2, so I won't even pretend I can. Lol.
I am really sorry about your ram though! Is the other stick still doing ok?

Well, let me start of by saying that I'm feeling you with the loss of your Ram. I just lot my female, and I was/am super sad about it.

It does suck. My female has been through ammonia spikes, fungal outbreaks, moving tanks, die-offs, and I guess after two years this was it for her.

But something doesn't add up here. CO2 just doesn't do that. It sounds like you had some swing in water conditions (which would explain the crypt melt).

Two things to ask about your CO2. One, how are you diffusing? Is it your airline stuck in a powerhead or something like that? Two, are you using a burp bottle of some sort? It might be possible that you had a bunch of DIY gunk find its way into the tank, setting off the problems you've experienced.

Also, the bad eggs thing is something to be concerned about. Check around your substrate for anaerobic pockets, especially if you're using sand. What kind of substrate are you using again? And how deep is it.

It's stuck in the filter intake. I put it in the intake tube that goes to the impeller.

Nope, no burp bottle. Just your regular standard 2L lemonade bottle.

Now that you mention it, when I stirred up the substrate, several bubbles came out from all over the place. I was concerned about that and thought it could be dangerous. It seems to have lessened now, although occassionally it does happen.

I will post water params tomorrow.

I have no idea actually. It smelled like that when I got home. But now that you mention it, it smelled worse when I stirred up the substrate.

I will respond ASAP tomorrow, I have gone past my curfew.

I haven't seen you online in a while! Why does it seem like you have the worst bad luck? I'm sorry about your ram, and all the issues with the co2 and the cloudy water. Man, that really sucks lol

Back
Top Bottom