The GF's ADA 60-F - Shallow Rimless Build - Ohko Mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How I wish I had a club like this

Yea, it's really cool. Thanks to Brian for turning me on to SCAPE!

Club? Heck I'd settle for 1 decent fish store these days around here!

We have several decent, a few excellent and the rest are average... but I do feel lucky with the stores within 30 mins drive for me :)

Yeah California gets all the goodies! It's over saturated with aqua nerds (no pun intended...it's actually a compliment)! Hehe

Fish Nerd... I prefer Fish Nerd; please!

Yea, it's really cool. Thanks to Brian for turning me on to SCAPE!

We have several decent, a few excellent and the rest are average... but I do feel lucky with the stores within 30 mins drive for me :)

Fish Nerd... I prefer Fish Nerd; please!

Really...you get decent weather and nice pet stores. So unfair.
Fish nerds? That's how my wife refers to my make believe friends on this site. Jealousy does not look good on her.

Really...you get decent weather and nice pet stores. So unfair.
Fish nerds? That's how my wife refers to my make believe friends on this site. Jealousy does not look good on her.

Make believe friends... classic. I almost pee'd myself reading that :lol:

My GF's daughter coined me a "fish nerd" when I started talking to her about plants and fish and stuff... the kid is interested in marine bio and works in an aquarium, I figured SHE would be sympathetic... but nooooooo

Oh and having a club, where we go to "fish meets" with other "fish nerds" - I don't stop hearing about that one...

I thought I was being more PC by calling it aqua nerds...I thought it was more inclusive and doesn't leave out our lovely inverts and flora! Lol

Maybe fish nerds would seem more fitting in my newb days of fish-only with awesome silk and plastic plants! Let's not forget the days when I thought it looked cool to bury my first plants in black gravel...funny part was they were anubias and java fern. Oops!

Maybe fish nerds would seem more fitting in my newb days of fish-only with awesome silk and plastic plants! Let's not forget the days when I thought it looked cool to bury my first plants in black gravel...funny part was they were anubias and java fern. Oops!

Yea, that's where I was (we were) in June: a plastic tank w glow gravel, plastic plants and fish.

Today, thanks to "make believe friends" online, we have several planted tanks and have dreams, visions and goals of beautifully scaped tanks that support and sustain communities of flora with fauna.

Even though the moniker "fish nerd" may be narrow, it seems to sum it up to the "outsider" as most tanks contain species of fauna. Until finding this forum, and others like SCAPE, my impression of this hobby was pretty narrow too... I actually like the plant/scape aspect more than the fish keeping.

Yes, "fish nerd" is inaccurate, but at risk of sounding arrogant to the uninformed or unexperienced, "aqua nerd" seems to require even more explanation. One day I hope to earn the title of aquarist, though I will never not be a nerd, sans the social impairments associated with that moniker of course.

Last edited:
Ahhh... I see your point. Well said and understood my friend, albeit "make believe" (or not). ;)

Ahhh..... THE LINEAR SCAPE! Another great scape by TGM's James Findley:

That's awesome!

Man, I seriously need to find some nice stones! I've actually been hoping to find long "linear" stones, similar to what he used in this aquascape. Everywhere I drive now, I'm looking at the hills wondering if I should stop and find some unique stones... Haha I might hit up some landscape supply places this weekend.

Update - DIY Conduit Light Suspension Project Complete!

Alright guys I haven't updated this thread with our latest milestone achievement here. I did a little research and figured out how to get some EMT Conduit Pipe bent, drill some holes, and ALSO with the help of Bill's Finnex Ray 2 hangers, I was able to suspend the light over the tank. I'm actually amazed that it came out somewhat decent -- especially coming from a non-DIY type of guy.

Here's the resource "HOW TO" thread that helped me in figuring out what to do:
How To: Build an ADA inspired lighting stand - Carolina Fish Talk

Here's my initial planning phase rendering. It came out close but not exact.
ixKxsx480fYL9.jpg

Here's me pretending to be a handyman...LOL
iJEwjS9dmdy3K.JPG

Nifty little step drill bit that came in handy... I drilled this holes 1" apart in order to give me the ability to raise and lower the fixture in 1" increments. :)
ipQ8d0ryL77hK.jpg

Here's how it attaches to the Ikea Expedit bookcase:
ib2sXIfxVSWR72.jpg

And FTS w/ DIY conduit suspension kit completed! :dance:
ibhxA3KpCnpbvs.jpg

BTW, these bent rods that Bill fabricated were the life saver! I don't know what I would have done w/out them! Bill, seriously... make a side business making those! haha... They insert nice and snug into the Ray 2. I then just used the metal cable Bill hooked me up with too. And attached everything with S-Hooks. (y)

ie2PydYBiruwQ.jpg

Note: The DSM continues.. .this DIY conduit project happened before the DSM started... I was just too lazy to post about it. But it's worth doing for those of you interested in suspending a light fixture.

How did you bend the bar? Did you heat it? Did you buy it from home depot?

There's a link in the post to instructions on how it was done. You'll need a conduit pipe bender.

Any progress with or updates to this tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Greetings, Mike... this tank isn't scaped anymore for the time being. Just a grow out tank for plants with a few fish. When we nice again and get settled, I believe my GF will rescape it. If not, I will .. lol

In case anyone is wondering, the 60F is still in "grow-out" tank mode...still needs a RESCAPE (soon)... but... I picked up some really neat Cobra Endlers for it the other day! These guys really have some interesting color and pattern!

14055918112_be1ee18dd2_b.jpg

Yeah, yeah. Pick on Old Scales. LOL Hi Autumn.
Brian I love the Endler's color/pattern. When I get my BML I'm going to have the quad T5ho fixture extra. Seems to me it needs a 20L grow out tank to have a place to sit. Grow out some plants and have some Endlers would be cool. I blame Fresh2O for my 20 long lust. As mentioned, more aquatic GAS. OS.

Yeah, yeah. Pick on Old Scales. LOL Hi Autumn.
Brian I love the Endler's color/pattern. When I get my BML I'm going to have the quad T5ho fixture extra. Seems to me it needs a 20L grow out tank to have a place to sit. Grow out some plants and have some Endlers would be cool. I blame Fresh2O for my 20 long lust. As mentioned, more aquatic GAS. OS.

Blatant example of justifying MTS. You are amongst friends; it is not us you need to convince ("Honey, I need to put something under this quad t5ho, stat!") Besides, you are always happy to help me spend my money.
I think this sounds like a great new project.

Fresh, you got that right buddy! After my recent photography outfitting "Gear Aquisition Syndrome" session, my bride might affect a marshal arts therapy session on me.
Do you remember the song, "Mamma don't take my Kodachrome away!" She may be small but she's wirey!
And yes, we LOVE spending each other's money don't we. LOL. OS.

Back
Top Bottom