The goldfish that wouldn't be eaten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We feed our target puffer a goldfish midweek to hold him over between crabs but this week the goldfish was too big for him to eat and he left it alone. After about three days I pulled the goldfish out and threw him in the 50 gallon community tank. He's in with some balas and clown loaches and a few black skirt tetras. I'm thinking about just leaving him in there. He's a good four inches. He seems to be doing okay in the 75ish degree water. What do you guys think? I don't want to flush him, and I don't want to kill him unless the puffer eats him. Do I have a new resident for the 50 gallon tank?

I keep my fantail and black moor goldfish in a unheated tank. It's around 80 in summer and 70 or lower in winter. Since goldfish are a cold water fish that might be a problem since they aren't tropical. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. Becareful though. My goldfish are ALWAYS hungry. I can't keep plants in the tank because the goldfish will eat them and they like to dig through the gravel, which would pose a problem for the root systems of plants that may be in your tank.

Usually its not recommended to mix goldfish and tropical fish, if hes doing ok, I'd say go for it. But he will probably get quite big, so I don't know if you want the extra bioload. Also get some sinking pellets for him, goldfish prefer to eat at mid tank and bottom levels.
He will also destroy any small leaved plants you have, been there done that! :roll:
And he will do fine as long as your temp isn't above 82.

The goldfish will be ok in the tropical tank. I had the same thing happen when my turtles didn't eat 4 of the goldfish I fed them for some reason. They obviously get pretty big.

Also need to remember, that goldfish add huge bioloads to the tank, they are quite the messy fish. It WILL get big, and pick through the gravel, eat everything, etc.

If you can find a pond to put it in or something, I would.

I keep a black moor in my tropical tank now, just because I couldn't bear getting rid of it (I saved the poor little fishie, long story), and he is doing just fine. My tank temp stays a consistent 76-78 degrees.

HTH

Your black skirt tetras are going to be the problem in the future. Although goldfish and balas are peaceful fish they both can grow to over a foot. Overall they should be fine but you may need to provide some shelter for the tetras to get away from the others once in awhile in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom