The "Goldfish Yawn" Factor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Every so often, my four fancy goldfish will exhibit (not at the same time, I'm just saying they all do it at some point) what I perceive as a "yawn," in which they will open their mouths wide as if they're stretching their breathing facilities or gills or something along those lines...

I had read someplace, I believe, that this is actually a good, positive sign -- that they are kind of "basking" in or "taking in" an oxygen-rich water environment and that they can breathe easily and comfortably; rest assured, I do not see them constantly gasping at the surface, looking all stressed out, which I understand is a clear sign of lack of oxygen or good water...but with two 18" bubble bars going pretty strong plus the outflow power of my two large HOBs, there is a PLETHORA of water movement and current/agitation in this tank, thus I didn't think they had a breathing problem...

Is this "yawn"-like symptom normal and/or a sign of a healthy fancy?

If it's not frequent or accompanied by flashing, then they are cleaning themselves.

Water only passes over their gill rakers in one direction. When they yawn, they are forcing water through their gills in the opposite direction - kind of like back washing them - to clean them.

Totally normal.

If it's not frequent or accompanied by flashing, then they are cleaning themselves.

Water only passes over their gill rakers in one direction. When they yawn, they are forcing water through their gills in the opposite direction - kind of like back washing them - to clean them.

Totally normal.

Wow; never heard that -- or of that -- before; thanks, 'chick.

So, this doesn't really have anything to do with reacting to "oxygen-enriched" water conditions, or kind of "stretching" the gills because they can breathe easier?

They're definitely not flashing before, during or after this behavior -- they kind of linger, mid-float in the middle of the aquarium, very un-stressed looking and just do this open-mouthed "yawn"...

Am I to assume my goldfish are okay? :hide:

Wow; never heard that -- or of that -- before; thanks, 'chick.

So, this doesn't really have anything to do with reacting to "oxygen-enriched" water conditions, or kind of "stretching" the gills because they can breathe easier?

They're definitely not flashing before, during or after this behavior -- they kind of linger, mid-float in the middle of the aquarium, very un-stressed looking and just do this open-mouthed "yawn"...

Am I to assume my goldfish are okay? :hide:

Under those conditions, yep.

Mine kind of look like this while they're "yawning;" plus, they do this "eye blinking" thing along with it, which I understand is normal during this behavior:

img_2387601_0_0ba61a74df9384af329ef367693b4ddb.jpg

This isn't one of my fish...just using this pic of a gorgeous fantail that I found with regard to the same "symptom"...

No, definitely not exhibiting any other signs during this like flashing (which I understand means flukes, as you pointed out, or possibly something else) nor is it that overtly frequent -- they kind of remain floating, mid-tank, looking very unstressed and just do this large open-mouted yawn...

From what I'm reading and the info I am gathering (like from 'chick above), this could be a method they use in which they "clean" their gill rakers...

Addendum:

Thanks for that link to the Goldfish Connection site, LibraryGirl; indeed, I have been on that site in the past and they take the pro side of goldfish care very seriously. I read the info about flukes, and that alarmed me; wow, you learn something new about what all these guys -- tropical, saltwater and goldfish -- can get nearly every day!

Now, I'm not so sure it isn't flukes...but I don't want to start throwing medicine like the Prazi in there as I've been down this road before with medicating a tank (for something that they didn't even have). Should stepping up the water change schedule be okay to protect them for now? I did a 20% a day or so ago...I can do a 50% today if you say it's okay...

I've seen my fancy tail only yawn when they're about to rest

Every so often, my four fancy goldfish will exhibit (not at the same time, I'm just saying they all do it at some point) what I perceive as a "yawn," in which they will open their mouths wide as if they're stretching their breathing facilities or gills or something along those lines...

I had read someplace, I believe, that this is actually a good, positive sign -- that they are kind of "basking" in or "taking in" an oxygen-rich water environment and that they can breathe easily and comfortably; rest assured, I do not see them constantly gasping at the surface, looking all stressed out, which I understand is a clear sign of lack of oxygen or good water...but with two 18" bubble bars going pretty strong plus the outflow power of my two large HOBs, there is a PLETHORA of water movement and current/agitation in this tank, thus I didn't think they had a breathing problem...

Is this "yawn"-like symptom normal and/or a sign of a healthy fancy?

I've seen my fancy tails only yawn when they're about to rest or sleep. Just very lightly moving their fins and esp. after 9pm (usually we turn off lights at about 9.45) and then yawn few times and then pretty much sleep. Once you have a good oxygen rich environment they seem very healthy. I've a 55 gallon tank, overflow filter, a high power fx6 filter, two bio wheel with filters and a sump (wet/dry filter). All this also helps when the water runs gather oxygen. It's very cute when they yawn and quickly close and open their mouth few times (just like humans like we yawn and enjoy our yawns after by our movements of our lips). Someone said they do that only to clean their gills, but then they seem to do that only when they're resting or ready to sleep.

I've seen my fancy tails only yawn when they're about to rest or sleep. Just very lightly moving their fins and esp. after 9pm (usually we turn off lights at about 9.45) and then yawn few times and then pretty much sleep. Once you have a good oxygen rich environment they seem very healthy. I've a 55 gallon tank, overflow filter, a high power fx6 filter, two bio wheel with filters and a sump (wet/dry filter). All this also helps when the water runs gather oxygen. It's very cute when they yawn and quickly close and open their mouth few times (just like humans like we yawn and enjoy our yawns after by our movements of our lips). Someone said they do that only to clean their gills, but then they seem to do that only when they're resting or ready to sleep.

Hello, Tony, and thank you for your reply. :)

That's interesting that you say they do this when they're about to "go to sleep"; from everything I have read and heard, they are actually doing this to clean their gill rakers, as you mentioned towards the end of your response, but my guys seem to do it at random times, having nothing to do with "before sleep" patterns...

Weird...

Back
Top Bottom