The Guppy fry are here!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought two pregnant female guppies a week ago. I just saw the fry today. There appear to be about half a dozen of them (I'm assuming the mothers ate the rest). I've been feeding them crushed flake about every time I walk by the tank. I've also added tons of hornwort for them to hide in, but for some reason, they stay out in the open.

Congratulations. Don't feed them everytime you walk by the tank you will end up with an ammonia spike. Feed a few small feedings a day but very small feedings. I usually feed my fry 3-4 times a day at most to avoid ammonia spikes.

Zagz said:
Congratulations. Don't feed them everytime you walk by the tank you will end up with an ammonia spike. Feed a few small feedings a day but very small feedings. I usually feed my fry 3-4 times a day at most to avoid ammonia spikes.

Ok. I'll do it that way. Is crushed flake fine or should I be feeding something else?

seperate the males from the female as they age, if they start breeding too young, thet develop no color, and look like feeder fish

No question about it, if you have the time, raise Baby Brine Shrimp and feed the fry those. I have had a batch of molly fry that I fed with flakes and only 5 or 6 out of 20 survived to adulthood. Since I have been feeding them baby brine shrimp I have a survival rate of about 90-95%.

On top of the dramatically higher survival rate, they are usually bigger and a lot healthier. It's too the point now where I feed all my fish baby brine shrimp and they haven't gotten sick since.

Make sure not to overfeed, I did that my first time around and the ammonia spike killed them all.

Back
Top Bottom