The last of the ill betta have succumbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
The toll in quality breeders was devastating. :(
I have found the partial culprit...
after the unknown airborne yuk the discus Cookie brought, we had the outtages. We had a second long outtage this past month and I noticed cyno popped up in the same two tanks again....
When the areation stops that long it must kill the good bacteria in the filter(UGF) and let nasty stuff develop.
I don't think my daughter scrubbed through her gravel with the bleach water well enough last time..or something missed bleaching.
Uaan was already ill and seemed to have nerve damage from the "illness" which was bacterial in nature but never pinpointed exact.
So she was lost today. though removed from the tank, she was already hit hard. I have Akira being babied at my desk so he has slowly revived colored up. Sri, his sis was lost also. All were in 10 gal in the line of tanks next to cookie that got ill

Many need to watch for signs of black in the gravel and immediately get that stuff out! This means tank teardown.. I have tried other methods but they don't work. I notice we have double the number of snails just before the signs are obvious..... coincidence?

Sorry Christmas. :( I know someone else who had their angelfish stock devastated by something airborn..

It caught us off-guard, since after QT our contamination avoidance can be sloppy (nets/feeding sticks/water changes). And the aftermath has been haunting us for a while. I believe it is finally exoricsed but at heavy cost.

She is a bit disheartened.... has said the words...
"maybe I shouldn't be a breeder"

But there were not many spots in that chain of events where we could have broke the links. And they are only obvious in hindsight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom