The Love it or Hate it Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank is looking gorgeous! I think you'd be fine without the anemone in there. The two you linked look too ridged like the one that's currently in the tank, but if you want one still I'd put the white anemone you have back on the top of the right rock piece.

Any updates on your stock ideas?

I had thought of the puffers, but they would not be kind to my snails or the shrimp I want to keep.

Stocking is still up in the air. I have been considering a small school of Cardinal Tetras (thanks for the suggestion) and Zebra Danios to swim about along with some Kuhli Loaches for the bottom. Not to forget the nerite snails and cherry shrimp scattered about which will probably spend a lot of time on the sponge filter. Maybe two or three young Pearl Gouramis or Dwarf Gouramis (all female) to hang around the top half of the tank? If the Pearls got too big, my 55 planted style is way understocked anyway, they would be happy when moved over there.

hpiguy said:
I had thought of the puffers, but they would not be kind to my snails or the shrimp I want to keep.

Stocking is still up in the air. I have been considering a small school of Cardinal Tetras (thanks for the suggestion) and Zebra Danios to swim about along with some Kuhli Loaches for the bottom. Not to forget the nerite snails and cherry shrimp scattered about which will probably spend a lot of time on the sponge filter. Maybe two or three young Pearl Gouramis or Dwarf Gouramis (all female) to hang around the top half of the tank? If the Pearls got too big, my 55 planted style is way understocked anyway, they would be happy when moved over there.

Female dwarf gouramis can be hard to find, and are kind of dull looking. Just something to think about.

Female dwarf gouramis can be hard to find, and are kind of dull looking. Just something to think about.

I did not know that. Hadn't kept any of the dwarfs before. Thank you for the info.

I picked out the first fish for the tank. They resemble a saltwater/brackish fish I like. Are hardy and will be lots of fun to watch in the tank with some other fish later.

Drum roll.................................................................

blackskirttetra.jpg

I've also decided on the rest of my stocking. Though of course, things can always change, but I think these fish will give me the look I want in this tank.

img_2078884_0_5a2c5f63693578af1325cd5fb2e16255.png

Any updates?

Nothing big. It still looks like post #17 right now.

I have the Black Skirt Tetras in it and they are doing a good job of exploring all the nooks and crannies in the fake coral.

I did order the tall Vallisneria, and that should be arriving this week. When it does I'll swap out the current large plants for it and take a pic or two.

After that only one minor addition to decor and then slowly getting it stocked to full. Currently browsing all the shrimp and nerites for sale to order some.

I have decided that once the new vals are in, the anemone is coming it. It's simply too large and bright for this tank. It distracts from other things. I have found a replacement that I hope suits the tank better.

Thanks for checking in.

P.S., regarding your earlier suggestion of stocking dwarf puffers I did some reading up on them and I think I just found a use for my 20high tank that is sitting idle. Thanks! I just have to think of a natural theme for them. I'm thinking one of those sunken galleons and other nautical themes in it.

Here's the little dudes shoaling around the tank.

img_2083282_0_2931ceca590399732497048056bf1d94.jpg

hpiguy said:
Here's the little dudes shoaling around the tank.

I think schools of black skirt tetras look awesome, and your tank looks awesome! I like that you chose to go with the saltwater look and didn't add freshwater decorations (aside from a couple plants). I think youve successfully set up a great looking tank! Can't wait for more pics!

I love the look of this tank so much I think i will use it for my betta tank. I think this tank will look amazing with all the fish in it

I love the look of this tank so much I think i will use it for my betta tank. I think this tank will look amazing with all the fish in it

Petsmart has just put both coral ornaments on sale on their website. ;)

They also have a good amount of other pieces in the same theme to be a bit different.

hpiguy said:
Petsmart has just put both coral ornaments on sale on their website. ;)

They also have a good amount of other pieces in the same theme to be a bit different.

It is going to be only a 5.5 gallon so those pieces are not going to fit but I will us the other pieces that are smaller

Well, the BSTs must be pretty happy and adjusted. They were breeding this morning. I've never seen that before. It was very interesting to watch.

They are spawning into and on the larger fake colorful coral pieces. As if they were grass.

It is going to be only a 5.5 gallon so those pieces are not going to fit but I will us the other pieces that are smaller

Send me a PM when you make a thread on it. I don't want to miss it. (y)

Here it is, crystal clear water, anemone is out for good, and spiral val has been added. You can also see some additional occupants zipping around. Fear not, cycle is fine, I do fish-in all the time and never have an issue. I over bio filter on all my tanks.

I still can't get perfectly in focus pics on this camera. I think I need to set it on a tripod and a timer so I don't move it at all.

Waiting on one more thing to show up. It's on the slow boat from China.

Debating a larger fake val, a jungle val to cover up the blank space in the center back of the tank.

img_2090421_0_442b12901351f9f3d82bacdc789bf939.jpg

img_2090421_1_7bd6d624039862966036a272215d1f31.jpg

Some Lemon or Red Phantom Tetra would look pretty good in the tank, especially the Lemon - look rubbish in the shops, but stunning when you get them home, I think they are one of the most overlooked Tetra around due to there shop appearance.

Attachments

• image-3032679138.jpg
    image-3032679138.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3463233061.jpg
    image-3463233061.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom