the million dollar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adicted2cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have had these two tanks (a 55 and a 29) running for about a year now. I have a male and female eb johanni in the 29 and a male eb johanni in the 55 along with many other africans. (The pair in the 29 are larger) my question is can i add the male and female to the 55 without them (a. Fighting to death over who is the top dog, (b. Fighting to death over who gets the girl)

Oh yea and they are all still small around an inch and a half ish..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120628_123853.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_123853.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20120628_123920.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_123920.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20120628_123949.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_123949.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
You will only get the answer when you add them.
Add them with lights out and rearrange all your decor to give your plan it's best chance of fruition.

At 1.5" they are both still juveniles. Even if they don't duke it out right away there is a good chance that it could happen when they mature. Usually folks recommend a M:F ratio where the females outnumber the males. A 55 is not really large enough for them to get out of each other's yard, either. If you end up doing it, do keep an eye on them, and I would separate them if they show aggressiveness. Johannis can really be quite aggressive.

Labenator65000 said:
At 1.5" they are both still juveniles. Even if they don't duke it out right away there is a good chance that it could happen when they mature. Usually folks recommend a M:F ratio where the females outnumber the males. A 55 is not really large enough for them to get out of each other's yard, either. If you end up doing it, do keep an eye on them, and I would separate them if they show aggressiveness. Johannis can really be quite aggressive.

I agree.. this will most likely work for a while but once there are 2 male johanni to 1 female all sexually mature more then likely you'll be left with your dominant male from harassing the female to death and killing the sub dominant for even being around. I would say this COULD work with other mbuna such as labs but not johannis

Thanks fellas.. well If I end up doing it then I will get some more females. I also have another 55 just laying around if I need to separate later down the rd.. I appreciate the advice tho!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom