The Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tore down my 10g today that is use as a plant/snail/shrimp nursery and moved it to a 20Long. Still waiting for the right top to arrive so the light is a little squashed and things are kinda cloudy. But I love the petrified wood and have some smaller pieces I will be adding later.
IMG_1483925694.697777.jpg
IMG_1483925706.102157.jpg
IMG_1483925718.236740.jpg

I used my Aqueon LED modular lights and Sunsun 302 canister. Garnet sand. Misc buce and Java ferns.

Petrified wood is awesome. Good looking snail too. I really like the sand.

Here is a great example of variances in growth rate. I have only had one clutch hatch so it is obvious how much growth can vary. Same clutch, tank, food etc. Look at the difference in size. IMG_7321.jpg

I think my friend gave me Red Cherry Shrimp. Can anyone confirm? I was looking at pics of other red shrimp today and I really don't know how to tell them apart.

IMG_7332.jpgIMG_7330.jpg

Watching a ramshorn ride one of my baby mystery snails. IMG_7372.jpg

And then something else jumps on for the ride... it's a shrimplette! IMG_7373.jpg

So excited and trying to get another pic...IMG_7377.jpg
oMG is that a hydra! Can a girl just catch a break.... Dang!

Last edited by a moderator:
But you have had a snail and shrimp party and bronco, urm, snail riding rodeo, baby shrimp party and then the Hydra had to ruin everything! Over all not a bad party!!!

Any suggestions on Hydra eradication? I have read the threads on the Fenbendazole. But I hate putting meds in my tanks. Usually solves the problem but kills other things too.

I read that pond snails will eat them or that not feeding will kill them before you kill the livestock.

Ive never had a issue worth worrying about but have seen pond and mts eat them. Have heard ponds are very good for this.

I keep a small population in my Biube with my Ramshorns. Along with a few MTS. He is adorable.

They are good eaters.

I have used the liquid Fen (goat dewormer) special dosing for inverts and no problems. If the snail doesn't do the job, with dosing the Fen, it was done overnight and a number of pwc perfect!

Thanks for the info. My hubbie and I stared at the tank and haven't been able to spot any more?! And the one in the pic was smaller than the shrimplette. Maybe it's early and the pond snail will do the trick. But I will keep close eye on things. Saw lots of baby shrimp while we were staring so it was fun.

:) I need a magnifying glass for the tiny ones!!! So glad they are producing for you. They are amazing looking. I just got about a half dozen common Cherry shrimp from a hobby friend in a good will trade and am actually very happy about it, I missed having extra kinds of shrimp. Snail & shrimp planted vase time maybe.

They are small. Can't wait till I have lots of shrimp busying about. Busy busy busy...

Guppy grass is doing great and other plants are recovering from my nuking them. Buce has new leaves. Snails and shrimp doing good. No more hydra spotted so far. IMG_7392.jpgIMG_7395.jpgIMG_7396.jpg

Back
Top Bottom