The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I'm fishless cycling the tank. When the ammonia drops to 0, you redose back to 4 ppm to feed the bacteria. Is it different with saltwater?

jwalsh said:
So just out of curiousity why do you guys dose so many times? Are building the bacteria? And I would assume that as long as you are dosing your trates will be high

You dose to keep feeding the bacteria so they don't die. Then your also growing a second set of bacteria that take the nitrites and turn them into nitrates. That's the part we are in now.

I got all excited this morning, when I put the nitrite drops in, they didn't turn purple before I shook it! It was a nice blue for a few seconds but then it turned purple :( But I think I'm making progress now lol

Edit: It was still at 2-5 PPM, but at least it doesn't turn really dark purple even before I shake it! lol
mm7nm0.jpg

Looks good. :) You'll get there. As I said in PM you're into week 2 of nitrites which can take about 3 weeks on average so hopefully that tube will stay blue on you someday within the next week or so. :)

Looks good. :) You'll get there. As I said in PM you're into week 2 of nitrites which can take about 3 weeks on average so hopefully that tube will stay blue on you someday within the next week or so. :)
I was wrong, I just looked at my log and I'm actually in day 25 of nitrites lol whoops. Maybe in a few days now that I know I'm into week three :)

I checked nitrites just for the heck of it about two hours ago, and it was a definate 2 PPM. I just checked it again now, I know its kind of a waste but I'm glad I did because the nitrites are down to like 1 PPm or .50 PPM or maybe even .25 PPM. It is a bit darker in person though than the picture. Maybe tomorrow I'll see the baby blue, it'll definately brighten up my monday :)

1zmi4b9.jpg

I'm postin these pictures for me so I can look back at my progress lol. Sorry if your annoyed by all these pictures of the test results

caitlynnanne9189 said:
You dose to keep feeding the bacteria so they don't die. Then your also growing a second set of bacteria that take the nitrites and turn them into nitrates. That's the part we are in now.

Well I know this is compairing apples to oranges but I also did a fishless cycle but added live rock so some of the bacteria was already there. Then I dosed to 4ppm twice. Then let it convert all the way down twice did a 50% water change and gave it another week. The went at it. It took about 5 weeks. But with having the live rock in there the die off from the algea and some of the bacteria also helpped fuel the cycle but it is also good because it gives you a jump on the bacteria.

jwalsh said:
Well I know this is compairing apples to oranges but I also did a fishless cycle but added live rock so some of the bacteria was already there. Then I dosed to 4ppm twice. Then let it convert all the way down twice did a 50% water change and gave it another week. The went at it. It took about 5 weeks. But with having the live rock in there the die off from the algea and some of the bacteria also helpped fuel the cycle but it is also good because it gives you a jump on the bacteria.

Yep! Or you can do what I did and buy a seeded filter from angels plus to help you out! :D

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Yep! Or you can do what I did and buy a seeded filter from angels plus to help you out! :D

Yeah those things are great. Ive heard nothing but good things about them

Wow that's cool I didn't even know those existed. Do you know if they are available for sw? Or are they interchangable? That might be nice for the new tank I want to start.

jwalsh said:
Wow that's cool I didn't even know those existed. Do you know if they are available for sw? Or are they interchangable? That might be nice for the new tank I want to start.

Honestly no idea but I'd post a thread. Everyone seems to love angels plus! I'm sure you will get responses!

Yes!! The nitrites are at ZERO!!!! But today is the only day that ammonia wasn't zero. Its at about 1-2 PPM. Should I dose it back to 4? I think I'm just going to leave it at 2 PPM, then once they're both at zero I'll start dosing to 4 PPM again.

jwalsh said:
How long do you dose for?

It takes a while! I'm unfortunately still having to dose everyday which in a way is good because it means my ammonia is getting eaten but it's a long process!

George9 said:
Yes!! The nitrites are at ZERO!!!! But today is the only day that ammonia wasn't zero. Its at about 1-2 PPM. Should I dose it back to 4? I think I'm just going to leave it at 2 PPM, then once they're both at zero I'll start dosing to 4 PPM again.

Jealous!!!!!! Mine are still way off the charts!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Jealous!!!!!! Mine are still way off the charts!

Aww I'm sorry. When it happens, it'll catch you off guard :). But with my luck, tomorrow it I'll be back to off the charts lol.

George9 said:
Aww I'm sorry. When it happens, it'll catch you off guard :). But with my luck, tomorrow it I'll be back to off the charts lol.

Haha! I have the same luck! It would so happen! Excited for ya though! What's your stock list looking like?

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Haha! I have the same luck! It would so happen! Excited for ya though! What's your stock list looking like?

My luck has turned lol. I the ph crashed to 6.4 today, the cycle stalled. That's why I still had ammonia. I did another pwc and hopefully be back in business lol! I'll get a stock in one sec

Edit-
Here the list
German blue ram
Angelfish
Apisto (if I can find em)
10 Kerri tetras
10 rummynose tetras
10 cories
Maybe some platies?

Back
Top Bottom