The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I considered that, but what about their diet? Don't they need like snails and live food? I don't think I'd be able to feed them snails everyday.
a lot of the lfs will either sell pond snails or just give them to you for free. I know the store i got soem snails from sold them at 12 snails/$1. If you can also establish a snail colony in the tank before you get the puffer you might be able to get them to a self sustaining point...just a thought, not sure about the feasibility though (i used to establish cricket colonies in my terrariums for my lizards so thats where this idea came from, don't see why it wouldn't work for snails too).

skywhitney said:
a lot of the lfs will either sell pond snails or just give them to you for free. I know the store i got soem snails from sold them at 12 snails/$1. If you can also establish a snail colony in the tank before you get the puffer you might be able to get them to a self sustaining point...just a thought, not sure about the feasibility though (i used to establish cricket colonies in my terrariums for my lizards so thats where this idea came from, don't see why it wouldn't work for snails too).

What species will work in a 10 g? Pretty much only a dwarf puffer right?

skywhitney said:
I've heard green spot will work in a 10g too but you'll want to get that verified by someone else.

Is that a brackish puffer?

I'm probably going to go with a dwarf puffer. Maybe two if I could find a male Nd a female. I'm going to feed them brine shrimp and snails. Coming soon!

George9 said:
I'm probably going to go with a dwarf puffer. Maybe two if I could find a male Nd a female. I'm going to feed them brine shrimp and snails. Coming soon!

Yea pea puffers!

I'll see if i can find a picture of the puffer i used to take care of...just to help you convince your parents the ones you want aren't that bad at all :)

Edit: Here are the pics!

Last edited:
I'll see if i can find a picture of the puffer i used to take care of...just to help you convince your parents the ones you want aren't that bad at all :)

Edit: Here are the pics!

WOW! That was yours? He's AMAZING!

WOW! That was yours? He's AMAZING!
lol well he was "mine" cause i was in charge of his tank. I used to be an aquarist and diver for the local aquarium and he was in my shark tank. So yeah he was "mine" for about a year but I had to give him back.

lol well he was "mine" cause i was in charge of his tank. I used to be an aquarist and diver for the local aquarium and he was in my shark tank. So yeah he was "mine" for about a year but I had to give him back.

Thats really awesome!

Question: Will an open top on the puffer tank be a problem for jumping, and the snails that will be in there? I don't want to wake up to the fish on the floor and snails on my face lol.

edit: are the pond snails I feed them small? I don't want to pay 2 bucks each for mystery snails to feed them. I haven't seen pond snails at my lfs but I'm sure they have them.

George9 said:
Thats really awesome!

Question: Will an open top on the puffer tank be a problem for jumping, and the snails that will be in there? I don't want to wake up to the fish on the floor and snails on my face lol.

edit: are the pond snails I feed them small? I don't want to pay 2 bucks each for mystery snails to feed them. I haven't seen pond snails at my lfs but I'm sure they have them.

Lol I've never seen a puffer that jumps! And the snails never come out of the water. Usually pond snails are the little stowaway snails you get when you buy plants.

Lol I've never seen a puffer that jumps! And the snails never come out of the water. Usually pond snails are the little stowaway snails you get when you buy plants.

Good! Can't wait to get this tank in order now lol. Probably right after the 60 finishes cycling. I think I'm going to get the ok from my parents. Probably going to be a low budget setup. I don't want to take too much money away from the fish to go im my 60 gallon. No live plants, maybe just a ton of fake ones. Even though thats what I usually don't like to do. I was going to change the sand out for black gravel, would you leave the sand or switch to gravel?

George9 said:
I was going to change the sand out for black gravel, would you leave the sand or switch to gravel?
I would personally go black gravel and if you want to let the snails breed in the tank then it might be better (the young tiny ones might be able to hide more)

skywhitney said:
I would personally go black gravel and if you want to let the snails breed in the tank then it might be better (the young tiny ones might be able to hide more)

Ehh, I think I'll just leave it sand for now. I like sand better I think. But I'm going to float some anacharis in there and get some big rocks or something. Scratch the fake plants. Maybe-just maybe- I'll be able to get away with two dps

George9 said:
Do you know if it's true that dwarf puffers hardly ever get overgrown teeth?

Ya, it is harder for their teeth to be over grown, it takes longer. I would still feed snails at least once a week as a treat/keeping the teeth down

Gboy66 said:
Ya, it is harder for their teeth to be over grown, it takes longer. I would still feed snails at least once a week as a treat/keeping the teeth down

Yeah I will. That's the last thing I want lol

Back
Top Bottom