The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George9 said:
The glass is streaky because thats little tiny bubbles, they usually come off on their own. Just ugly to look at.

How long does it usually take you to sink your driftwood?

Oh i got it!

It took me about 3-4 days to sink one small piece that i found on the beach, and another larger peice took only maybe 2 days. The real bummer it having to get out all of those tannins!

I hope it doesn't take too long, Its going to look really cool in there!

George9 said:
I hope it doesn't take too long, Its going to look really cool in there!

Ya! Pictures please! Is it the mopani stuff where it is all twisty, or the solid, stump like stuff? The type of wood can also determine how long it takes....pics please!

I honesty have no idea what kind it is. I had a piece of smaller mopani, but it wasn't that great looking. I just got this piece from thedriftwoodstore.com. I guess it kinda looks like a stump, a little?

Here it is floatin' in the tub.
20ggzh3.jpg

The lighting in the bathroom is really bad.

George9 said:
I honesty have no idea what kind it is. I had a piece of smaller mopani, but it wasn't that great looking. I just got this piece from thedriftwoodstore.com. I guess it kinda looks like a stump, a little?

Here it is floatin' in the tub.

The lighting in the bathroom is really bad.

Oohh that looks like a great piece for your tank! That will look really cool with moss and stuff growing on it.

I really suggest weighing it down, that will help alot IMO

Oohh that looks like a great piece for your tank! That will look really cool with moss and stuff growing on it.

I really suggest weighing it down, that will help alot IMO

That's probably what I'm going to have to do. I probably have to wait for the tannins to leak out because it looks like the water is slowly getting brown, even though the guy at the driftwood store said it wouldnt leak tannins. bummer. :(

Should I weigh the wood down when its in the tub so its completely submerged?

George9 said:
Should I weigh the wood down when its in the tub so its completely submerged?

Yes, and keep the water as hot as possible, draining and refilling when it becomes brown

Yes, and keep the water as hot as possible, draining and refilling when it becomes brown

Thanks(y)

Im going to start cycling tomorrow :dance:, Is there any way to calculate how much ammonia I'll need to get it up to 4 ppm? Im probably going to screw this up somewhere :facepalm:

Bowling driftwood speeds up sinking. Also speed up leeching... But till water stops turning colors adding a piece of limestone rock to tank balances ph Nvr use chem to change ph. Fish need stable more than specific.

joejeff said:
Boiling the wood.

I would boil it, but I don't think there's a pot big enough to fit a piece if wood 35" wide and 17" tall. Lol

Well heat water and add to bathtub. May speed up process. The point is that the heat helps water penetrate quicker. But the leaking lasts for months...

joejeff said:
Well heat water and add to bathtub. May speed up process. The point is that the heat helps water penetrate quicker. But the leaking lasts for months...

Thanks! Im adding hot water.

You could boil water in the biggest pot you have, and then run over to the bath tub (dont trip!!) an pour it in. Its alot of work, but that way you manage to make the hottest water possible, and are semi-boiling the driftwood

Gboy66 said:
You could boil water in the biggest pot you have, and then run over to the bath tub (dont trip!!) an pour it in. Its alot of work, but that way you manage to make the hottest water possible, and are semi-boiling the driftwood

That's what I was going to do tomorrow!! You read my mind :)

See, and now if I trip, I can always blame it on you! It's a win-win situation. ;)

George9 said:

See, and now if I trip, I can always blame it on you! It's a win-win situation. ;)

If its already been driftwood that's been floating in a lake or has been leeched of tannins and dried, you don't need to wash it. I soaked a piece of driftwood once, just a quick rinse and it went in the tank as there were no leeching tannins :)

George9 said:

Nice! Hope your not too busy, because that might take awhile. I really hope your wood Isnt loaded with tannins!

Haha oh great, i might have a lawsuit on my hands :)

I saw the picture of the driftwood piece you got and it look really great! I hope it cooperates for you, because the shape is really neat. :)

Back
Top Bottom