The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what its worth, the bacteria will not die in 20 minutes (assuming they stay wet the whole time). They can actually live for days (some people say up to 2 weeks) without an ammo source. :)

I didn't think it could. I'm glad I didn't let it dry out. (y)

Edit: will plants do anything to effect the cycle in a good way? I want to add them during the cycle but I dot want to until my driftwood is in.

I usually hate to post like 4 posts in a row, but what the heck.

I've been soaking the driftwood and I spent a lot of today pouring boiling water on each side of the wood. Is there Any other way I could try before I get impatient and screw slate to it?

Oh and the cycle continues, nothing happened today (not like I was expecting something.) ammonia stayed at 4 ppm, no nitrite (of course) or nitrate (usually not there on the second day anyway lol) so yeah!

Tomorrow I'm putting the driftwood in the tank. It didn't sink in the tub so I'm gonna go out and find some slate tomorrow and screw it in. Then I can start adding some plants very soon!

I'll post a picture with the wood in the tank.

Ya wierd it hasn't sunk b4 on its own. The slate shouldn't hurt anything. Just be aware of the metal you use to screw it.

joejeff said:
Ya wierd it hasn't sunk b4 on its own. The slate shouldn't hurt anything. Just be aware of the metal you use to screw it.

I'm using stainless steel screws. They shouldn't rust right?

I would think. I am not sure if they would be treated w anything. I haven't ever had to screw anything for my tank decor. But logic would say yes stainless would be good as long as it isn't painted or anything. Like exterior screws sometimes are.

I have another question about plants.

Will flourish excel do anything for crypts and swords, or will they do better root tabs?

The wood is not going in today. I got some slate and screwed it in and it still floated. The wood is so soft that the screws just came right out after I removed the wood from the tank. I have no idea what to do with this now, I'm just so p***ed off

This sucks, it really sucks. I feel like taking the wood and throwing it at someone.

Guess what? Another question!
I just saw some clown killies at my lfs and really want one now. Would I be able to get one with the stock I have planned (first post)

Use fishing line and tie the wood to slate. It will hardly be noticed and once the wood soaks and sinks can be removed.

Excel is a co2 replacer I think. I am still confused a little on that. If the tank is heavy stocked w plants u need it. I use it and my sword is booming. Root tabs are ferts and swords do better w those bc they root feed. So I guess the answer is they do different things. If u need co2 sup use Excel. And the root tabs are a good fert. Anyone correct me if I am mistaken... Please...

joejeff said:
Use fishing line and tie the wood to slate. It will hardly be noticed and once the wood soaks and sinks can be removed.

I screwed the wood to 2 big pieces of slate and it still floated. I think I'm going to cut the wood down a little and make it smaller.

joejeff said:
Excel is a co2 replacer I think. I am still confused a little on that. If the tank is heavy stocked w plants u need it. I use it and my sword is booming. Root tabs are ferts and swords do better w those bc they root feed. So I guess the answer is they do different things. If u need co2 sup use Excel. And the root tabs are a good fert. Anyone correct me if I am mistaken... Please...

Yeah it's a co2 supplement. I already have the excel and I think I'm gonna go with tabs too then. I'll start with those, then if I have algae problems I'll start the excel. Thanks!

Small. Care similar to guppies. Nvr kept.them. but trays what I have read here.

Love the black petco sand. I use it in my 8g too with some white petco sand. I only needed to rinse it a couple times though

Back
Top Bottom