The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George9 said:
Oh my gosh! I feel like the only one who has never had that happen. I've grown cabomba in all my tanks any never had needles all over. Lol that's why a lot of people hate needle plants haha

Lol well i'm one of them now! :p

So when are your bulbs arriving? Did you ever get that second CO2 bottle going?

skywhitney said:
So when are your bulbs arriving? Did you ever get that second CO2 bottle going?

Should be here today now. Usually it comes next day from drfosterandsmith, but I guess not this time.

I did not get the second bottle going. I haven't been able to go to petco and get the t-valve lol. But I have started dosing ferts your way on monday, and I like it better'

OH MY GOSH. I cannot believe this. UNBELIEVABLE. The giesemann bulbs are just, holy crap, so much brighter. SO MUCH! I looked at my old 10k and it turned blackish. I was not getting much light out of them. It looks like sun is literally shining into the tank. I am in awe over the difference these make. the algae on the glass is more apparent now, I'm in for a lot of work tomorrow. And it looks pinkish at the substrate below the cabomba, it's cool. But I can finally see that the cabomba did loose it's leaves at the bottom, but you can't tell if you look from the front.

The bulbs were the problem, D.E.F.I.N.A.T.E.L.Y!!!! Cannot wait to see the results.

George9 said:
OH MY GOSH. I cannot believe this. UNBELIEVABLE. The giesemann bulbs are just, holy crap, so much brighter. SO MUCH! I looked at my old 10k and it turned blackish. I was not getting much light out of them. It looks like sun is literally shining into the tank. I am in awe over the difference these make. the algae on the glass is more apparent now, I'm in for a lot of work tomorrow. And it looks pinkish at the substrate below the cabomba, it's cool. But I can finally see that the cabomba did loose it's leaves at the bottom, but you can't tell if you look from the front.

The bulbs were the problem, D.E.F.I.N.A.T.E.L.Y!!!! Cannot wait to see the results.

Lol yeah bulbs are awesome :) now take the brightness and double it and you'll have an idea of how bright my living room is lol.

You might start seeing some results really quick. Watch to see if your plants start to pearl.

Lol yeah bulbs are awesome :) now take the brightness and double it and you'll have an idea of how bright my living room is lol.

You might start seeing some results really quick. Watch to see if your plants start to pearl.

Sorry, but what does it mean when plants start to pearl? haha I'm bad lol

I just noticed a couple scales missing on one of the little angels. And I see a white bump above the mouth on the gbr. I'm thinking there was a little aggression thing. I started a thread, if you have any idea what the bump could be.

Oh and old rainbow (Frankie) thought it was funny to shove a whole piece of a algae wafer in his mouth. I was freaking out. It looked like he was choking. I had to chase him with the net and get him to spit it out. LOL if I didn't see it I bet he would have choked himself or something

George9 said:
I just noticed a couple scales missing on one of the little angels. And I see a white bump above the mouth on the gbr. I'm thinking there was a little aggression thing. I started a thread, if you have any idea what the bump could be.

Oh and old rainbow (Frankie) thought it was funny to shove a whole piece of a algae wafer in his mouth. I was freaking out. It looked like he was choking. I had to chase him with the net and get him to spit it out. LOL if I didn't see it I bet he would have choked himself or something

Oh fish are interesting critters aren't they!?

Unfortunately, i don't know what the bump could be. It sounds like some aggression is going on. You have quite a few cichlids in the tank so i'm not really surprised though

Wow, lots if posts today hahaZ

I just thought of a reason why my old light was so dim. In the first pics I took, the light was bright. Then something happened and in all the other pics, it's dim again. Weird. I dunno why the bulb was black either. I don't know about flouredcent bulbs, does that usually happen? Or could I have burned my whole house down lol

George9 said:
Wow, lots if posts today hahaZ

I just thought of a reason why my old light was so dim. In the first pics I took, the light was bright. Then something happened and in all the other pics, it's dim again. Weird. I dunno why the bulb was black either. I don't know about flouredcent bulbs, does that usually happen? Or could I have burned my whole house down lol

Ok so the bulbs started bright then got dim right? Are we referring to the new or old bulbs? Flourscent bulbs will dim with age. The black parts i believe are part of the filament that has burned and flaked off (could be completely wrong on this) which also happens with age and use.

If we are talking about the new bulbs starting bright and turning dim already i would check the ballast in your fixture to see if that is going bad.

skywhitney said:
Ok so the bulbs started bright then got dim right? Are we referring to the new or old bulbs? Flourscent bulbs will dim with age. The black parts i believe are part of the filament that has burned and flaked off (could be completely wrong on this) which also happens with age and use.

If we are talking about the new bulbs starting bright and turning dim already i would check the ballast in your fixture to see if that is going bad.

No, it's the old bulbs that did that. The new ones are good :)

When they say 6500 k is daylight, they ain't kiddin. It's so weird, you can see everything now lol. I took the black background off to get the msg float back there to get the algae off the glass. Looks so much better. No algae-yay!

skywhitney said:
Oh fish are interesting critters aren't they!?

Unfortunately, i don't know what the bump could be. It sounds like some aggression is going on. You have quite a few cichlids in the tank so i'm not really surprised though
Yeah, I do have a lot of cichlids. I think about 11 of em. It should go down to 4 soon when I take most of them to the fish store :D

Are you still interested in that angel? In not trying to rush you or anything, but in gonna take them to the fish store in maybe one or two weeks.

George9 said:
No, it's the old bulbs that did that. The new ones are good :)

When they say 6500 k is daylight, they ain't kiddin. It's so weird, you can see everything now lol. I took the black background off to get the msg float back there to get the algae off the glass.

Yeah, I do have a lot of cichlids. I think about 11 of em. It should go down to 4 soon when I take most of them to the fish store :D

Are you still interested in that angel? In not trying to rush you or anything, but in gonna take them to the fish store in maybe one or two weeks.

I am but i don't know if i could justify the cost of shipping it out here. I can get a half dollar size blue fin for $6 at one of the stores out here. I would of course love to get one of yours but i don't know when i am going to act on getting one. If i have to wit to inteoduce them into the tank last it will be at least 2-3 weeks. I'm not trying to put you off buddy, just trying to figure out logistics.

It sounds like your old bulbs were pretty shot then sir. How old were they?

skywhitney said:
I am but i don't know if i could justify the cost of shipping it out here. I can get a half dollar size blue fin for $6 at one of the stores out here. I would of course love to get one of yours but i don't know when i am going to act on getting one. If i have to wit to inteoduce them into the tank last it will be at least 2-3 weeks. I'm not trying to put you off buddy, just trying to figure out logistics.

It sounds like your old bulbs were pretty shot then sir. How old were they?

Yeah, I guess they were pretty darn shot. Ive only been using them since December! They Gould last a lot longer than 5 months lol!

That's okay! I dont care as much what I get for one, I just want at least one of them going to a good home. Because I don't know what's gonna happen to them when they're bought at the lfs.
The price I thought up was kinda a shot in the dark. I am willing to lower it to whatever you're willing to pay after all the help you've given me over the last 6 months :)
I just can't change the shipping costs because, I don't work for USPS. Haha just lemme know If you want one, it won't hurt my feelings if you buy one locally lol.

After just one day with new bulbs, I now see the tps of the purple cabomba turning pinkish purplish!! YES! YES! YES!

Maybe it will look like this :D
cabomba_furcata1.jpg

If you're sill interested in the Diandra let me know. I have a bundle available now.

image-518754890.jpg

Thats my DW stump behind it for a size referrence.

skywhitney said:
If you're sill interested in the Diandra let me know. I have a bundle available now.

Thats my DW stump behind it for a size referrence.

Yeah I'm still interested! How much do you want for the bunch? Looks nice and big :)

George9 said:
Yeah I'm still interested! How much do you want for the bunch? Looks nice and big :)

I'll figure out shipping and price it off of that, that way the cost isnt to bad. I'm thinking $5-10. I'll let you know for sure though.

skywhitney said:
I'll figure out shipping and price it off of that, that way the cost isnt to bad. I'm thinking $5-10. I'll let you know for sure though.

Okay lemme know when you find out. Shipping would be to 60192.

George9 said:
Okay lemme know when you find out. Shipping would be to 60192.

Looks like shipping through USPS will either be 5.35 or 11.80 depending on the weight of the plant. I'll weigh it tomorrow and let you know for sure.

skywhitney said:
Looks like shipping through USPS will either be 5.35 or 11.80 depending on the weight of the plant. I'll weigh it tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Okay let me know what you figure out tomorrow.

I have some bad news too and I'm pretty pissed. I think my gbr has some kind of fungus. I think it's from the aggression episode he had two days ago. It made him more suceptible (sp lol) to fungus. I wanna do a salt bath tomorrow, but not sure how. Any ideas on what to do?

Back
Top Bottom