There is this red algae all over my tank and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grippe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There is this red algae all over my tank and rocks. What do I do for this ??

Attachments

• image-157150831.jpg
    image-157150831.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 171
How old is your tank (How long have you been running it for?) the summer season is here now and if your tank is getting a lot of light you might want to reduce the time your lights are on? how long do you have them on for?

I have the same problem but not nearly as bad. There is no natural light that gets to tank. I have 240watts of LEDs for about 8 hrs a day. I do 30% water changes weekly with ro/DI water. All parameters are 0. I run a gfo, nitrate and carbon reactors. Ozone and protein skimmer. Any answers?

30% weekly I would say is far to much I do 10% about every 6 to 8 weeks, I know people who do only 10% every 3 months. My main thing mind you is watch your tank and when the corals start to close I would say its time to water change. All tanks differ so I wouldnt take 10% every 6 to 8 weeks as a given. I have lots of sunlight in my tanks so I only give it about 3hrs a day right now with the lights on any mre than this then I start to get GHA.

I also like to change from 20% to even 50% of my water, depending on the tank. :)

I've had the red cyano in all my tanks at the beginning, even with massive water changes. I've used chemical solutions though to fix the issue, I have no patience at all! I used red slime remover and the slime was gone overnight like a miracle. I also have not had any issues with the cyano after the first initial outbreaks. If you choose to go with a chemical just be sure to read the instructions and follow them exactly. I had no ill results with my corals or fish while using it.

Good luck

I have been doing some reading about using red slime remover and chemi-clean. There is a theory that since its a bacteria and we use antibiotics to remove it that they could build up an immunity and every time it comes back it could be worse! I hope not already used it once about a year ago

Back
Top Bottom