there's something in my tank.... PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my 75 gal FOWLR going for about 8-10 weeks now. I had 2 damsels in there for the past 4, yesterday added a convict tang and today added an algae blenny. I noticed a few light spots on the blenny, but I'm not sure if this is in any related to my problem. I just looked at my tank, and there are a good number of tiny, translucent things swimming in my tank. These were not there this morning. They are maybe 1/8" long, have tiny little "heads" and the rest is tail. What are they??? Please help!!!

I was looking at my tank again, and earlier the blenny and 1 of my damsels were kind of picking on each other. Now I can't find the blenny anywhere, and the cave he and the damsel were in and out of is occupied by only the damsel. Its possible the blenny found a hiding spot I can't see, but I doubt it. Is it possible the damsel killed the blenny, and these things were "released" if they got into the tank w/the blenny? Somebody please help!

I'll try, I only have my camera phone.... they look almost like tiny bubbles with tails... I doubt I'll be able to pick them up on my camera, but I'll try... back in a few mins.

I got a pic, but for some reason, its staying really small. I'll post it, but I doubt it'll help.... :(

Yeah, these pics kind of suck. Sorry one got posted twice, I can't figure out how to delete it. Anyway, its hard in these pics to tell what, well, anything is, but what I'm talking about is the "bigger" things in the pic. Sorry for the terrible quality. Any chance somebody might still know what they are?

Attachments

• tank_pic_149.jpg
    tank_pic_149.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 221
  • tank_pic_bubbles.jpg
    tank_pic_bubbles.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 220
  • tank_pic_bubbles_2.jpg
    tank_pic_bubbles_2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 218
Do you have any shrimp in the tank. My peppermint shrimp breed about once a month and I have a bunch of fry similar to what you describe and from what I can tell from the photo's. They're usually gone after a few hours, everything eats them, including the shrimp.

blennies will hide in the rock and blend in very well.. i have a bi colour blennie that is virtually unseeable... his dark purple head blends in with the algae on the rock.. he doesnt come out at all..

I had snail larvae(?) in my live rock that kinda looked like a bubble with a tail, wait and see if they develop a translucent shell. I also noticed the Larvae stuck to the glass and did like a slugging motion.

P.S what do you call baby snails?

Its weird... I'd say there were probably like 100 or so last night (they were so tiny it was hard to count them) but now I dont' see any. I wonder what the heck they were? Fortunately they seem to be gone, hope it doesn't end up creating some sort of health issue for my fish/tank.

Btw, I doubt this is related, but I noticed a few turquoise-looking dots on my algae blenny. Are these normal? Or am I starting to get paranoid? :lol:

I would only worry if you start seeing pink elephants and orange rabbits too. :lol:
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Never heard of turquoise dots being anything myself. Someone more knowledgabel might be able to help.

If they disappeared check your filter, and ph's, alot of them usually get caught in there.

bound_for_obx said:
They didn't look like this did they?

No, those look too big (I'm sure that's a pretty close pic though).

They seriously were the size of a pin head, if even that big. I honestly thought they were just tiny bubbles at first....

Back
Top Bottom