TheresaM's first tank build thread: Spec 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested the seal yesterday, it's all good. I am a diy queen :lol:

Any thoughts or suggestions on hardscape? The badis tank has 2 3" pieces of cholla wood with some moss attached. The rcs love the moss and I know there was at least one badis spawn inside the wood. So I'd like to have a couple similar caves or tunnels but want natural or at least natural looking. Really have no idea what else I want to do with this tank :hide:

Tested the seal yesterday, it's all good. I am a diy queen :lol:

Any thoughts or suggestions on hardscape? The badis tank has 2 3" pieces of cholla wood with some moss attached. The rcs love the moss and I know there was at least one badis spawn inside the wood. So I'd like to have a couple similar caves or tunnels but want natural or at least natural looking. Really have no idea what else I want to do with this tank :hide:

Yes it is my dead bulldog ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The EC arrived yesterday, I really need to start making some decisions about this tank :hide:

Yes I need help, have no idea what I'm doing! I can throw together a nice looking bowl or small nano setup with no problems but get into actual gallons and I'm lost.

At least I know what I'm stocking it with, right? :hide:

Best bet is to work out what plants you want and hardscape items. Then draw it out eagle eye view. Colour co-cord plant bunches

Best bet is to work out what plants you want and hardscape items. Then draw it out eagle eye view. Colour co-cord plant bunches

Yep.. remember this silly little attempt??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427497790597.jpg
    1427497790597.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 77

I wish I had taken the time to do this. My plants are so random it's ridiculous. Of course height of them was considered and planted accordingly but I wished I had planned it out neater.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok, dumb question time. Can i put the EC in and leave it dry? I'm hoping even doing that will give me some sort of inspiration...

Edit: and how deep for the EC?

Last edited:
Yep.. remember this silly little attempt??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reminds me of the fine art of fingerprinting.
TM - Peruse the inter webs for a nano layout that strikes your fancy. So many to choose from. That's what I did. Or tried to do. My tank morphs every quarter it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used 70% EC and 30% black aquarium sand in my 55g.

Here's a close up of the mix after a month and a half if it helps.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427543927.854828.jpg

ETA: I also mixed in some Osmocote Plus granules in when I set it up. My plants have done very well with little melting, even of the Swords (I read melting is due to lack of nutrients, not sure if that's true.)

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

Back
Top Bottom