TheresaM's Project Tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's great! Btw there is a section where walstad explains why sand and gravel are poor substrate choices but sand in particular. If you can, I would cap with gravel. It's to do with cation exchange between the plants roots and the substrate and also why bacteria don't favour sand colonisation. Seriously, if you do start it up again, go through the book. I'm near the end at the moment and once I have read it in going to turn back to page one and start it all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks yeah I'm using a larger grain, "river sand" so it has a nice mix of everything in it. But will take that into account. I don't really want to use gravel again though aesthetically. I have been following a guy on Instagram 'Akwascape' he is experimenting with no capping on his dirt tank and it's interesting the progress he is getting.

I'm not following wallstad completely still using artificial light and going against the details of the method.

Thanks yeah I'm using a larger grain, "river sand" so it has a nice mix of everything in it. But will take that into account. I don't really want to use gravel again though aesthetically. I have been following a guy on Instagram 'Akwascape' he is experimenting with no capping on his dirt tank and it's interesting the progress he is getting.

I'm not following wallstad completely still using artificial light and going against the details of the method.

I haven't gotten to the correct setup methods of the walstad tanks yet but I would be surprised to find out she doesn't use artificial lighting. In fact, the correct lighting she recognises it one of the most important aspects to her tank as the idea is to ensure that minerals are not being depleted Beira they are reintroduced via fish food.

The no capping technique is an interesting one I'm not 100% sure on the exact purpose of the capping is at the moment other than keeping the soil substrate in its place. I can't wait to get started but I may have to lose a tank to start one.

After reading the book so far, I have decided to hang back on water changes in my low light heavily planted community. Is been almost 2 weeks now and the plants are flourishing. The fish seem very happy and very vibrant. I'm going to do smaller water changes less often for a couple of months to see what occurs.

I haven't gotten to the correct setup methods of the walstad tanks yet but I would be surprised to find out she doesn't use artificial lighting. In fact, the correct lighting she recognises it one of the most important aspects to her tank as the idea is to ensure that minerals are not being depleted Beira they are reintroduced via fish food.

The no capping technique is an interesting one I'm not 100% sure on the exact purpose of the capping is at the moment other than keeping the soil substrate in its place. I can't wait to get started but I may have to lose a tank to start one.

After reading the book so far, I have decided to hang back on water changes in my low light heavily planted community. Is been almost 2 weeks now and the plants are flourishing. The fish seem very happy and very vibrant. I'm going to do smaller water changes less often for a couple of months to see what occurs.

Yes I will have to read it I think to fully understand it. I think his idea around no capping was purely experimental, he was expecting a complete algae bloom and after 6 weeks he says the tank is clearer then ever. I'm keen to start this and see what happens.

Yes I will have to read it I think to fully understand it. I think his idea around no capping was purely experimental, he was expecting a complete algae bloom and after 6 weeks he says the tank is clearer then ever. I'm keen to start this and see what happens.

Me too. I'll be sure to follow when you do!

Back
Top Bottom