TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A random pile of cholla would be cool. A labyrinth of hiding spaces. You are free to rearrange it as needed.
In case you want to explore the "tree" concept, I drove some SS screws into two pieces of cholla with a 4x4 mesh in between. It is stabile; maybe a 2x2 mesh would work. Here's a pic (don't laugh) of two pieces of cholla mounted on SS mesh. I left the mesh partially covered so you can see it. Obviously using multiple pieces of branched cholla at different heights (and topped with moss) would be more suitable but I wanted to get an idea of what it would look like standing on end:
ydCYZnX.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been wanting to do a pacific northwest forest tree theme tank. Ill be watchin these ideas.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Then a type of weeping moss would give that conifer forest look IMO. Here's an example (single tree):
attachment.php

A random pile of cholla would be cool. A labyrinth of hiding spaces. You are free to rearrange it as needed.
In case you want to explore the "tree" concept, I drove some SS screws into two pieces of cholla with a 4x4 mesh in between. It is stabile; maybe a 2x2 mesh would work. Here's a pic (don't laugh) of two pieces of cholla mounted on SS mesh. I left the mesh partially covered so you can see it. Obviously using multiple pieces of branched cholla at different heights (and topped with moss) would be more suitable but I wanted to get an idea of what it would look like standing on end:
ydCYZnX.png

No laughing, that's a great idea!

Went to do my morning sweep of dog hair in the living room and around my desk and found one of the Amanos. I'm so angry with myself, can't say I wasn't warned :banghead:

Eek... Ecleast you didn't step on a crusted killifish body... Even worse it jumped out of a tank with a lid!

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs
Cn

Went to do my morning sweep of dog hair in the living room and around my desk and found one of the Amanos. I'm so angry with myself, can't say I wasn't warned :banghead:

Did it crawl up the heater power line? Any chance the openings can be covered? That would be the exit route in my tank. The HOB intake tube is very smooth and probably not ideal for climbing. I have never seen any of the amanos near the surface. However, during drip acclimation one of the shrimp climbed about 5-6" up the wall of a five gallon bucket. Good thing I was checking on them periodically.

It had to have climbed one of the sides and then out, there's nothing in the tank except plants. The lid doesn't fit properly since I swapped the kit light for a Stingray. It's not a particularly deep tank with just some misc plants so I think I'll go back to the original light before the other shrimp gets tempted.

I did manage to get a decent shot of the female betta though; this is Big Blue:

img_3309562_0_e8a6a45720b479a05b1bae3b62427ecc.jpg

Betta are so gorgeous, I swear those shades of blue are positively stolen from 80s fantasy art (good thing, IMO, I miss all the unicorns and dragons). I'm sorry about your poor little guy ?

Betta are so gorgeous, I swear those shades of blue are positively stolen from 80s fantasy art (good thing, IMO, I miss all the unicorns and dragons). I'm sorry about your poor little guy ?

I've always like female bettas. This one actually has some intense red on her fins that doesn't really show in the pic.

Wow, Big Blue is beautiful!!

Thanks so much :flowers:

------

Yesterday I was stressed about the other Amano so I put the kit light back on the tank. Not happy with it at all, it's considerably smaller than the Finnex and has no red leds so the tank has a yellowish look. And even this way the lid still has a feeding hole plus 6 vent slots (?) so I put a magazine over the top before I went to bed. Now to figure out what I can use for a lid. I'm not a big DIY person so it has to be something easy to cut and that allows maximum light thru.

I had pulled about half the najas grass to put in the breeding trap/temporary shrimp home. Tonight I noticed it's starting to turn brown. Only difference is that tank gets a bit of afternoon sunlight, would that be causing the browning?

I had pulled about half the najas grass to put in the breeding trap/temporary shrimp home. Tonight I noticed it's starting to turn brown. Only difference is that tank gets a bit of afternoon sunlight, would that be causing the browning?

Najas grass is perhaps reacting to the different conditions of the new tank. Is the whole plant turning brown, just the older leaves, just the stem (which end)?
I think I have a few najas grass stems in my temp shrimp tank. They came from a snail shipment from Brennae a little while back.

Najas grass is perhaps reacting to the different conditions of the new tank. Is the whole plant turning brown, just the older leaves, just the stem (which end)?
I think I have a few najas grass stems in my temp shrimp tank. They came from a snail shipment from Brennae a little while back.

Couldn't get a good pic because of the angle of the breeding trap. Best way to describe it is the entire plant has gone olive green rather than bright grass green.

At this point I don't think there are any shrimplets left, or at least none that I can see. Did a siphon tonight though and there are so many scuds...really glad at this point that I decided to break down the entire tank because there's no way I could get rid of them all otherwise.

The remaining najas got a peroxide dip then went into the 16g. Then of course the domino aquarium effect kicked in which started with 'why waste the scuds?' I have a very neglected 2.5g with a female betta, moved her to the Spec until I'm ready to start getting rid of the EC.

Decided to do a couple of things. First is to get rid of the bowl of misc plant bits that's been on the kitchen counter for a long time...going to break down the 2.5g, put in a thin layer of sand plus all those plants. It's unheated and with the colder weather I might turn it into another shrimp tank, just not sure what type of shrimp. Definitely some sort of Neos though.

Najas looks nice in the 16g so that will stay, just need to put something around the filter output so it doesn't keep getting blown around.

That leaves the question of plants for the Spec. I may do a small section of dwarf sag but otherwise I think I'll try for something like this which is the baby tears in the jungle tank:

img_3310370_0_2f444a58204ec721a0e0c963ee699cdd.jpg

Really a very busy evening: cleaned intake guards, moved both Endlers and least killifish fry, topped off a few tanks, got rid of more duckweed. Going to start rinsing some of the new black sand start soaking some of the new cholla pieces.

Oh no..... Sorry T. Ive been there though. I hear mr aqua is or will be having a killer sale on tanks.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom