TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And a few shots from the 10g jungle taken this evening:

img_3277003_0_e6d464aee5395cf630aa9519319cdd6f.jpg

img_3277003_1_4a77e3ea6aba7ef917f9b1f6dddd9d20.jpg

img_3277003_2_21345d7dbcc39c69374cc5acc83b4b7f.jpg

May I ask which plants are in the top pic? They looks so great against the red of the shrimp!

May I ask which plants are in the top pic? They looks so great against the red of the shrimp!

Dwarf baby tears and dwarf sag. Sometimes looks like a Christmas tree when they're all in one area together!

Saw this girl zipping around the tank when I went to feed the fish last night. A bit later I noticed at least one shrimplet. The dwarf amber barbs are tiny but I still shut off the tank lights just in case. I really need to decide what I'm going to do about plants in that tank so there's enough cover for fry.

img_3277228_0_c54fa73b038202cd8123013addf46349.jpg

Betta girl is definitely going to stay in the 16g. Was tossing around the idea of adding another but now I'm seriously thinking about getting a blue cobalt goby. More research to do.

Lid for the new 2.5g arrived today. Definitely going shrimp only. Instead of cholla wood I'm going to buy a trio of turkish hazel plus some sort of moss or plants to kind of tuck into it. I'm ordering from Han so lots of options available if anyone has suggestions.

img_3278315_0_fac4dcf59615fb87db2dcf03a20fd521.png

(photo from Google images)
Once aquascaping is done the plan is to move the best reds from my jungle tank and add some fire reds that I'll most likely get online.

The cold is still hanging on unfortunately. Spouse is going away for a long weekend though so I'll have time to some stuff done: research, hopefully order plants, do a few WCs.

Finally got motivated to work on the floating plants in the jungle tank. It was a huge mess of duckweed, water sprite, dwarf sag, and dwarf baby tears. Grey, rainy day so I had to borrow the strip light from the Endlers tank. Got rid of some browned sprite, most of the duckweed is gone, and the dwarf sags went in the 16g. They'd been floating for months and some had roots over 6" long! Untangled the baby tears as best I could so that and the remaining sprite went back into the tank. I think the next move is to finally put a background on it, just not sure what.

The mess:

img_3280027_0_67d97a9cbd415a95482c6a58ec3a4b51.jpg

Tank before:

img_3280027_1_6ce2eaa2e8d2de40f90dee80c6e12ac4.jpg

After:

img_3280027_2_b8d25cac5d5301de35d4620afd3e5c7d.jpg

Some of the fish:

img_3280027_3_309e325092edfb2b48d9bcaab1fda1bc.jpg

I ordered 3 of the Turkish hazel for the new tank. Need to contact the seller and find out if they have to be boiled/soaked. Still haven't made any decisions about plants. The lone shrimp seems to be doing well though:

img_3280027_4_e9916a33634ca9baa66d4fc266bc48a1.jpg

I'm interested to hear about the prep for the Turkish hazel. I'm seriously jealous of that camera!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

May I ask what fish are in pic #4? Awesome tank! Lots of plants! Those fish look like mosquitofish or some kind of livebearer, very nice! Just gonna say that the Sumatran Blue Cobalt Goby can be extremely hard to find. My LFS has them every now in then in a little cube aquarium but I always chicken out on them because I don't want them to starve in my tanks. Plus they are wwwaaaaayyyy out of my price range lol. I also saw some "Dwarf" otto cats there. Tiny, maybe 1/2 inch and different coloring. They would be cool if you could get your hands on those. Didn't find anything on the Web though, so maybe just baby ottos?
In any case, awesome shrimp, fish and plants! I always look forward to pictures of peoples tanks on here, especially planted ones!

I'm interested to hear about the prep for the Turkish hazel. I'm seriously jealous of that camera!

Just got a message back from the seller. He says they'll float for a while and then sink. I'm a bit too ocd for that though so I'll probably soak them outside the tank first.

The camera was definitely an investment but I love it!

May I ask what fish are in pic #4? Awesome tank! Lots of plants! Those fish look like mosquitofish or some kind of livebearer, very nice! Just gonna say that the Sumatran Blue Cobalt Goby can be extremely hard to find. My LFS has them every now in then in a little cube aquarium but I always chicken out on them because I don't want them to starve in my tanks. Plus they are wwwaaaaayyyy out of my price range lol. I also saw some "Dwarf" otto cats there. Tiny, maybe 1/2 inch and different coloring. They would be cool if you could get your hands on those. Didn't find anything on the Web though, so maybe just baby ottos?
In any case, awesome shrimp, fish and plants! I always look forward to pictures of peoples tanks on here, especially planted ones!

They are least killifish, H. formosa. Not particularly colorful but active and quite curious when I do anything in the tank. Females are much larger than males. They pretty much drop fry one by one rather than a large batch.

Wet Spot has the gobies at a reasonable price but there's the $25 minimum order plus shipping costs. Maybe some time in the future...

Never heard of dwarf otos...is the store normally reliable about labelling? Would certainly be interesting though!

Yeah the store is pretty good about labeling, and I do think that there is a such thing as "dwarf" ottos. Can't even find a pic on Google. I would have taken some but IMO $55 a pop.......holy cow, I could buy a whole ton of fish for the price of one! I would love to see if you have success with the gobies, they certainly look cool!

As far as I know otos are almost never bred in captivity (am I thinking of the right fish? Pretty sure) so I doubt they are just babies. I assume most wouldn't survive the toxins (either arsenic or cyanide, I can't remember) they use to catch them.

Anyways back on topic, did you say DWARF baby tears? As in, HC, the super hard to grow carpet plant? Or just regular baby tears, HM?

Yeah the store is pretty good about labeling, and I do think that there is a such thing as "dwarf" ottos. Can't even find a pic on Google. I would have taken some but IMO $55 a pop.......holy cow, I could buy a whole ton of fish for the price of one! I would love to see if you have success with the gobies, they certainly look cool!

$55? Nope, way too much for me!

55$ Otos are the reason I have trust issues. True story.

I would love to know the story behind this!

Cool or not, no way I would pay $55.

+1

As far as I know otos are almost never bred in captivity (am I thinking of the right fish? Pretty sure) so I doubt they are just babies. I assume most wouldn't survive the toxins (either arsenic or cyanide, I can't remember) they use to catch them.

TFH magazine had an article some time this year about breeding otos in captivity but I don't think it's common.

Anyways back on topic, did you say DWARF baby tears? As in, HC, the super hard to grow carpet plant? Or just regular baby tears, HM?

It's definitely not HM but there's a chance it might not be HC either :hide: Quite a while ago I got some plant clippings with a shrimp order. I posted pics here and was told it was dwarf baby tears. I'll try to get some better pics!

Hopefully these are better pics of the plant for identification.

Planted:

img_3280213_0_706d21f176a972965ef8643f9d51615e.jpg

Floating:

img_3280213_1_1e36545de3d4a8d2db123bee8e9e2719.jpg

For size reference the fish in the second pic are just under 1".

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be HM; I hear it's easy enough to grow. I was just shocked at the idea of HC floating or growing like crazy in a no tech tank.

Pearlweed
AKA regular baby tears

I had to have help IDing mine as well a while back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be HM; I hear it's easy enough to grow. I was just shocked at the idea of HC floating or growing like crazy in a no tech tank.

That's what I thought!

Pearlweed
AKA regular baby tears

I had to have help IDing mine as well a while back.

Thanks so much. I even went back to the shrimp seller who wasn't able to ID it for me!

Still waiting for the Turkish hazel to arrive. I did add a few more dwarf sag around the sponge filter.

Ordered a floating plant guard for the Endlers tank. The dwarf water lettuce are getting blown around by the filter output and I noticed a lot were clogging the filter intake.

Move a few more jungle vals to the 16g. I added a group of kuhlis to that tank about a month ago, don't know if it's time or the added plants but they're finally comfortable enough to be out & about regularly:

img_3281862_0_6e3bf029b0870278baa2c99a80b94559.jpg

Oto was front and center when I was checking tanks this morning:

img_3281862_1_f0dd658ef550016060e8acf8d3653934.jpg

Back
Top Bottom