TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My HOB filter has a little DYI "slide" and there is no splash. The water lettuce is not a problem but the duckweed forms a mat in front of it. Yes, I said duckweed :(
What kind of filter is on the Endlers tank?
Fire or Sakura sound nice. THAT is what I will be looking for at the next auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would you post a pic of your DIY?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would you post a pic of your DIY?

Go to post #3 of this thread. I use the plastic strip that comes with the all glass tops. Had some pieces lying around and thought "this just might work". With some tweaking of course.
Here is a pic I took the other night.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442453520.263728.jpg

I think it's mostly dwarf water lettuce and some duckweed as well. This is where I'm at right now:

img_3282254_0_c7a29910698e717daf8e2fa7b3f5e931.jpg

I think it'll work, it's just the initial settting up that's a joke. I portioned off a section, cleaned off the filter guard, and now I'm trying to net out the remaining plants. Crazy fish are getting into every scoop, it's like a circus! Think I'll put some food in there and hopefully distract them....

I think it's mostly dwarf water lettuce and some duckweed as well.....

One simply does not have some duckweed.
I like the corral. Except maybe during water changes. Yeah, one day months ago I saw ONE duckweed leaf floating in my tank and thought "Eh, what's the worse that could happen?"
Every 1-2 weeks I am trawling the surface with a net.

Ok I see now. I do have a lot of those plastic pieces laying around.

One simply does not have some duckweed.
I like the corral. Except maybe during water changes. Yeah, one day months ago I saw ONE duckweed leaf floating in my tank and thought "Eh, what's the worse that could happen?"
Every 1-2 weeks I am trawling the surface with a net.

Good point, but did you have to metnion water changes?!? ;) Seriously though if this can contain the majority I'll be happy!

I ended up putting some daphnia in the corral area to distract the fish and as usual had 1 kuhli surface feeding with the rest of the fish. Managed to get some ok shots (and yes, algae...:hide:):

img_3282274_0_04d65f4e440aa965de7fcc0a3aa513e3.jpg

img_3282274_1_da122fa453a37bc8faac2088dd1b0344.jpg

img_3282274_2_05a9b9a46c65be5b9b791b633ea0cae7.jpg

Even if you only get most of them the ones in the corral should grow better than the ones outside of me corral, so that should help contain most of the plant population.

Even if you only get most of them the ones in the corral should grow better than the ones outside of me corral, so that should help contain most of the plant population.

That's what I was thinking and it's so nice not to have the filter guard clogged up!

Eh, GSA is okay. Glad it did not stop you from posting pics of those colorful fish and curious (hungry) kuhli.

Wow I'm really impressed with the kuhli! And I think there are more people with algae than admit it. I have it in a few tanks.

Eh, GSA is okay. Glad it did not stop you from posting pics of those colorful fish and curious (hungry) kuhli.

Lol thanks...the otos keep picking at it but I really need to get in there and clean up!

Wow I'm really impressed with the kuhli! And I think there are more people with algae than admit it. I have it in a few tanks.

I know, right? At this point I really think it's the same kuhli...there are 6 in the tank but only 1 does the surface feeding. Or they could be messing around with my mind.... :rolleyes:

Very happy with the plant guard. After almost 3 days in water the Turkish hazel are still floating. The sakura rcs auction ends Sunday night so the earliest they'd be here is late next week. I also bid on some Japan blue Endlers, thought they'd look nice in the 16g, but the current bid is pretty much at the top end of what I want to spend. Still throwing around other ideas for that tank.

I need to do something about stock in the Spec 5. The blue dream shrimp are soooo difficult to see on the Eco Complete, and the micro rasboras are pretty much invisible too, maybe because of how the tank is located and the fact that there's no background. Any suggestions for fish would be very much appreciated!

Microdevario kubotai would look great with Eco and a lack background.

This is where the tank lives. Since it can be seen from both sides (my desk is at the opposite end of the room) putting on a background really isn't an option.

img_3283098_0_8987106077f70355d7e62ad8de049cb2.jpg

I do like the kubotai. Ideas change a lot but I've been thinking about a pair or trio of either gardneri or australe gold. Not only more color than the current rasboras but larger as well.

I had a few stems of ludwigia I decided to put in the Spec, see if that brightened things up at all. Looked nice last night and then this morning it was floating. Not sure if it was the EC (which I've always found difficult to work with), the shrimp, snails, or a combination....

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have to set the stems with toothpicks until they root. Or plant them deeper. I find MTS tend to uproot things.
You might try a different substrate (PFS, black sand) to see the shrimp better.
I like this tank in that you can view it from many angles.

You may have to set the stems with toothpicks until they root. Or plant them deeper. I find MTS tend to uproot things.
You might try a different substrate (PFS, black sand) to see the shrimp better.
I like this tank in that you can view it from many angles.

There are a lot of MTS in this tank, really need to take the time and pull a bunch out.

I like the tank itself and its location in the living room, just really not happy with the look. I think I'll hold off on doing anything else right now and maybe plan tearing it down for a re-build this winter.

Back
Top Bottom