They aren't throw away fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I have to get this off my chest.

Goldfish aren't throw away fish. They aren't expendable fish for cycling a tank, where it doesn't matter if you do water changes because you're just going to "get rid" of them anyway.

They aren't tropical fish. They don't have the same dietary or space requirements as tropical fish. Comparatively speaking, one goldfish contributes a HUGE bioload to a tank.

In fishkeeping, we've done away with that useless "one inch per gallon rule" for tropical fish, and never used it for marine fish, so why would anyone apply it to goldfish?

For goldfish, it's gallons per fish. And it's more gallons per fish for slim bodied single tailed goldfish such as commons, comets and shubunkins, which are better suited for pond life unless you can afford a big honking tank. Use Google images to be able to tell the difference before you set out for the store.

If you're buying "feeder fish," i.e., comets in most of the big box stores, then please make sure your oscar or piranha is a fast and efficient killing machine. It's not amusing to watch an immature carnivore ineffectively chase and terrorize a goldfish. And please don't talk about how that happens in nature. Oscars are cichlids from South America, and the largest market for piranhas is from Brazil. That goldfish from China and those carnivores would never meet in nature.

Please do the homework necessary to be a responsible goldfish or koi owner before you buy.

I've been wandering how big of a tank you would need for a pair of koi to b happy

Not to be a smart-alec... but a pond! Koi get huge! My dad had 2 in his pond along with shubukin. The 2 koi both got to about a foot or better long an I have no clue on weight. He gave them to someone with a BIGGER pond cuz they were running out of room! He ended up giving all their fry and fingerlings away as well. Just remember, Koi are carp, and I have seen some HUGE wild carp 25 -30 pounds and better. I think to make em b happy like a 250gal. or better! They are a pretty fish and my dads didn't really mess his pond up much. The ones I saw in ponds in Japan were absolutely STUNNING, especially at the temple ponds in Kamakura.

Not to be a smart-alec... but a pond! Koi get huge! My dad had 2 in his pond along with shubukin. The 2 koi both got to about a foot or better long an I have no clue on weight. He gave them to someone with a BIGGER pond cuz they were running out of room! He ended up giving all their fry and fingerlings away as well. Just remember, Koi are carp, and I have seen some HUGE wild carp 25 -30 pounds and better. I think to make em b happy like a 250gal. or better! They are a pretty fish and my dads didn't really mess his pond up much. The ones I saw in ponds in Japan were absolutely STUNNING, especially at the temple ponds in Kamakura.

^^This.

Most people - at least most of the people I know - don't have room in their homes for a tank suitable for a pair of koi. And for fish that get that large, you have to look at how 250 gallons is laid out - the footprint for it.

I have a 275 gallon stock tank in my back yard that I'll be turning into a pond this spring, after I build a 60 gallon bog filter for it.

In gallons, that would be okay - not optimal, but okay.

Except - my stock tank is round - 5 feet in diameter and 2 feet deep. Nowhere close to suitable for a pair of koi.

It is fine though, for about 5 comets or shubunkins.

I've been wandering how big of a tank you would need for a pair of koi to b happy

As its been mentioned, koi realisitcally only belong in large ponds or massive tanks (think indoor swimming pools). They have the potential to grow up to 3ft and are well knowned for their lengthy livespans that well exceed our own. :)

My boyfriend made me really happy last night. We were watching a movie, and there was a shot of a goldfish in a bowl and I said something about being angry because of it. He didn't quite see the goldfish at first, but once I said something he reacted in shock and started saying how terrible it was. He doesn't know too much about fish, but even he realizes goldfish need lots and lots of water and space to grow. Usually it is me ranting about people keeping fish badly, but this time it was him. Guess I'm rubbing off on him... Apparently his aunt had a massive pond with some massive goldfish in it, so he knows how big they really can get. It kills me that people don't realize that the fish will eventually be nearly as big as a one gallon bowl if it is treated right...

My boyfriend made me really happy last night. We were watching a movie, and there was a shot of a goldfish in a bowl and I said something about being angry because of it. He didn't quite see the goldfish at first, but once I said something he reacted in shock and started saying how terrible it was. He doesn't know too much about fish, but even he realizes goldfish need lots and lots of water and space to grow. Usually it is me ranting about people keeping fish badly, but this time it was him. Guess I'm rubbing off on him... Apparently his aunt had a massive pond with some massive goldfish in it, so he knows how big they really can get. It kills me that people don't realize that the fish will eventually be nearly as big as a one gallon bowl if it is treated right...

He sounds like a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom