They came with the rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the names of these little guys. They were unexpected. There are two different types. Any help would be great. I have not read up on this type of life yet. Thanks

Attachments

• dscf3814_748.jpg
    dscf3814_748.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 46
  • dscf3815_172.jpg
    dscf3815_172.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 60
Looks like a 3rd one lower left back too, looks pinker in color.

I'm not sure what they are, look like little hairy mushrooms, or riccordea .... Either way nice!

What are the size of each? Is your tank cycled?

Majano anemones.. considered a pest because they can spread quickly. You can kill them with boiling water or Joe's Juice if you like..

I have a few of these in my tank.. I haven't bothered to off them yet because they just haven't been a problem.... yet.

The tank is a 72gal Oceanic bow with a 20 gal sump. The tank just cycled.

They are small, half an inch across. The one on the left is very different from the two in the center. It is a soild in color and the tips are slighly larger than the rest of the stalk. It is pink kind of purple but dark The two in the center are light pink with green tips.

Pretty. Don't get rid of em unless they become a problem.

BTW...the title of your post cracked me up. Sounds like a bad horror movie. =P

I wouldn't touch those. They are definitely not Aptaisa, and look very close to a Riccordea shroom or a Yuma shroom, both of which are very nice corals to have! :wink:

I agree they look like majano, a realitive of the aptaisa. You could let them alone and see how they do. The majano do spread and can become a nuicense just the like the aptasia but not as quickly is my understanding.

I have 4 x 65W Compacts on them. They came from large tubs of live rock with great filtration but no light. I was told the rock had been there for three weeks. I did not see them when I put them in my tank, so they just went straight in. I am not sure if they will make the transfer very well.

I think I am going to leave them alone for now. Will they do any harm other than mutiply?

lreilly said:
I am not sure if they will make the transfer very well.

I think I am going to leave them alone for now. Will they do any harm other than mutiply?

You'd be amazed at how resilient they are.
The harm is that if they are pretty aggressive and can produce pretty rapidly. They will sting anything in their path damaging other inhabitants. Keeps us posted on their progress.

After reading up on them for like 5 minutes, I might just change my mind.

I do not have any fish yet, so I can figure out some thing. I have a peppermint that is fond of aptasia, would this cousin, be a snack too?

I'm not totally sure but I think pep's only eat aptasia. Hopefully someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.

I have never seen Majanos with such brightly colored "bulbs" before? I still say they look more like a Yuma or Ricordia shroom, but I could be totally wrong!

I know for sure the dark ones are Majano. Every picture I found is dead on. And one just keeps moving every night, Still on the same rock though. I have three in total of the darker.
And as for the two pink and green, they do have "mouths" and one moved maybe 1/4" last night.

Yesterday I moved the rock just enough so it was not touching any other rock. Will they move over sand?

I just hate the idea of killing them, would a lighted sump be a good place for them?

And this has helped oh so very much, thank you.

Slight update

Well so far every article I see, just says how to kill them. Or they are only a pest if your tank is less than perfect.

They will do fine in a lighted sump if you want to keep them. But, I wouldn't doubt that you would eventually find more in your main tank again if you choose to do that. Yes, they will move across the sand. It's a shame I know, they can be attractive and are fascinating in their ability to survive. But, they are a risk to keep for that reason.

I bought mine cured from two different lfs. A couple rocks I have had for a month, then I just picked up 50lb on Sunday. So far the good stuff out numbers the bad.

Besides all the stuff I thought I would get (pods and worms) I was lucky to get snails, a bristle star, a coral, and polyps. And to be honest aiptista. Luckily I found a pep that ate it all in less than 24 hours.

But now I have this issue, well nothing is for free.

I just found another on the back of another rock. I guess I know what I must do now. I think I will spend some time with my arm in the water this weekend.

I have three of these little guys.. bright green.

Be careful not to break them.. they will definitely spread that way. Peppermint shrimp won't eat them (at least mine won't). Hot water can work, I'd try the joe's juice if you really want them gone.

Ya the peppermint could care less. And nothing I have read says any different. So I am going to try the hot water method. I am going to try and find a needle today. Anyone know were you buy those.

Back
Top Bottom