Things are going brown.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeFreshnSalt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been dosing excel every other day in a 75 gal with 4 amazon swords thought all was well. Today I noticed a brownish buildup near the top of my eco complete near the glass, slate rock has a brown tinge to it, and my swords are browning on the edges. My water parameters:
7.8 pH
O Ammonia
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate

Could it be too much light and not enough plants?

Been dosing excel every other day in a 75 gal with 4 amazon swords thought all was well. Today I noticed a brownish buildup near the top of my eco complete near the glass, slate rock has a brown tinge to it, and my swords are browning on the edges. My water parameters:
7.8 pH
O Ammonia
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate

Could it be too much light and not enough plants?

Is your tank fairly new? I'd say your starting to get diatom algae. U should be able to find heaps of treatment options on Google :)

Also u want to try and keep nitrates around 10+ or your plants will starve of nutrients

I light 4-5 hrs then turn off for 4 hrs then back on 4 more. Schedule daily with auto timer

I just turned off my light, usually have it on for ten hours straight. It is a beamswork 1w high lumen. My aquarium is 12 feet from nearest window. I'm using leaf zone right now but want to go to flourish when I add more plants soon. Water changes once a week, with water parameters being OK I thought I'd wait a week. Thank you for your advice it is well appreciated.

It definitely is a science, but takes time to find the right formula. Maybe keep a written record of your practices. If your parameters are 0 0 0
Maybe do 2 weeks before water changes.

Check out Cory from Aquarium Coop. He has a lot of videos and pertinent information.

Swords are heavy root feeders. Substrate fertilizers are recommended.
When you mentioned Flourish, are you referring to Seachem Flourish Excel or Seachem Flourish Comprehensive? Prior to using dry ferts, I used a combination of API Leaf Zone and Flourish Comp once a week (to cover both macro and micro nutrients) and Excel once a day (supply a source of carbon).

I'm already using Excel and Api leaf zone, I was thinking about Flourish Nitrogen. I will take a look at the comprehensive. Thank you for your advice.

I'm already using Excel and Api leaf zone, I was thinking about Flourish Nitrogen. I will take a look at the comprehensive. Thank you for your advice.

Adding macro nutrients recently stopped my leaf edges from turning brown. I can't say which one was deficient put a solution of nitrate, phosphate, potassium and magnesium helped the formation of new healthy leaves.

Yeah. The amount of nitrogen and phosphate is negligible so you will have to pick up the others that Seachem just so happen to make.

Buying your own dry ferts and mixing them in your own water would be a more cost effective way to administer them.

Back
Top Bottom