Think my betta has velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am relatively new to the forum (mostly I just read), and I am definitely new to fish diseases =\ Especially velvet. I think he is a goner, but if I can save him I really want to, I am attached to the little guy. If I can't, I don't know what to do with the tank since I have snails living in there.

I saw the questions on the sick betta sticky, which I have posted and answered below:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Betta, he is *very* bloated, listing to one side (like he can't swim), and looks to have gold dust on the rear of his fins. His color has changed a little since I got him so I didn't really notice/think it was bad, but now that I've been reading about it and shined a bright light right on him, I can see it. He is just kind of hanging in a corner and seems to be having trouble breathing. If I look at him super close, it looks like his scales are starting to pinecone a little from the tummy being distended, but I could also just be imagining it because I'm worried and have been looking at pictures of dropsy and velvet for the last few hours trying to research as much as I can. He has not eaten in two or three days and is not anywhere near as active as he usually is. He is not doing much of anything except hanging out in the corner (normally typical behavior for him, but usually accompanied by zipping back and forth and flaring angrily at the snails and resting in the plant, etc. This time he has just not left the corner for days).

I have two nerites in there with him which are active, healthy, and eating their little snail faces off, so whatever this is seems to be affecting only the betta.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Tested the water this afternoon, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates were all 0. pH was 7.4, temp is 80.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

5 gallon fluval spec v, a year

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Whatever comes with the Fluval spec V

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

A betta, he's probably 2 inches or so long? And two nerite snails.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
On Tuesday of this week (so three days ago)

How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I do a water change about once a week, about 25%, and I gravel vacuum everyone 1-2 months.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

About 10 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nope. Everything is the same.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

OmegaOne betta pellets, and no.

I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary with my fish's behavior, he has been hanging in the corner of the tank by the filter but he has done that ever since I have had him so I didn't really think anything of it. He stopped eating two days ago, but was definitely not bloated anything like he is now. :( I am so sad, I think he is probably a goner.

If such is the case, my question, then becomes - what do I do with the tank? Everything I've read about velvet is that it's extremely contagious. I have two nerite snails in there, so I can't treat anything with copper. I could move the betta to a hospital tank and see what I can do, but if he does die can I use the tank again? If I move the snails, will they take the pathogen to another tank with them and infect my other fish? (I have two 20g community tanks elsewhere in the house they could be moved to, but not if they're going to take it with them). I also have live plants and don't know what to do with them either. =\

I would like to put another betta in there in the future, and feel it would be a waste to have this tank and not be able to use it.

I am so bummed. :( I tried to get the best pictures I could. Sorry they're kind of crappy, the angle is difficult and he's not really into me trying to get his picture. :(

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• rumple3.jpg
    rumple3.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 94
I couldn't figure out how to post more than one picture so here is a second, sorry.

Attachments

• rumple1.jpg
    rumple1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 88
hey, im sorry to hear about your tank issues. i cannot see it in your photos, but a gold dust showing up when you shine your fish with a flash light certainly does sound like velvet. i am by no means an expert with dealing with velvet; ive never encountered it in any of my tanks....but one thing you can try is total darkness for a week to ten days, or so. i would combine that with the medicine of your choice. remember, it is total darkness. cover the tank in a heavy cloth that will block out all light. total darkness alone could kill off the velvet, but a medicine on top of that would only help. just make sure you understand its affect on other tank inhabitants, in this case your nerite snails and your plants....not sure what 10 days of darkness would do to your plants, perhaps you could remove them. maybe somebody else will jump in and provide additional advice, wish i could offer more.

good luck

hey, im sorry to hear about your tank issues. i cannot see it in your photos, but a gold dust showing up when you shine your fish with a flash light certainly does sound like velvet. i am by no means an expert with dealing with velvet; ive never encountered it in any of my tanks....but one thing you can try is total darkness for a week to ten days, or so. i would combine that with the medicine of your choice. remember, it is total darkness. cover the tank in a heavy cloth that will block out all light. total darkness alone could kill off the velvet, but a medicine on top of that would only help. just make sure you understand its affect on other tank inhabitants, in this case your nerite snails and your plants....not sure what 10 days of darkness would do to your plants, perhaps you could remove them. maybe somebody else will jump in and provide additional advice, wish i could offer more.

good luck

Thank you for responding. At the moment, I have moved my snails out of my betta's tank and into a smaller tank of their own that I seeded with some material from my main tank downstairs. I think I will actually just keep them in there and give them their own little snail paradise, as it would make it incredibly helpful for me to not have to try to find workarounds for them if I have to treat in the future (and to have somewhere to put my other snails in the event that I need to treat my main tank).

Meanwhile, I have a bath towel over the betta tank for total darkness, and I picked up some API Super Ick Cure which I've read has the main component used for velvet treatment. Unfortunately, I think it is far too late for my betta. More of his scales are starting to poke out today, and he is even more listing to one side than before. I think I caught it way too late. I am so heartbroken. My husband and I talked about it and we think that if we do not see improvement late tomorrow we will get some clove oil and put the poor guy out of his misery. I hate having him suffer, it hurts my heart so much.

I have also started treating my rasbora tank, as I took some cuttings from a plant in my betta tank and put it in the rasbora tank not long ago. I am being paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

In the mean time, I will have to figure out what to do with the tank. I'd like to put another betta in there in the future, but I don't know if it's better to leave it up and fallow for a few months, or break it down and clean it with a small bleach dilution, toss out all rocks/decor, and start from scratch. =(

Back
Top Bottom