Thinking about Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KRol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I am thinking about Cichlids for a new tank im starting. but im not too familiar with them. So any info would be great. I have a 36gal bowfront currently in the cycling process. I have been doing some reading and as far as gravel Vs sand whats better? what cichlids could be placed in a tank this size. I am looking for something that really stands out and is very colorful.

:thanks:in advanced

i personally have sand, and i much prefer it to gravel. its harder to clean, but worth it, and of course its preferable for cichlids to sift or move around to their liking.
for a tank that size some dwarf gourami, kribs, dwarf angels, pseudocrenilabrus, rams, apistogrammas, dwarf flag cichlids or you could probably manage a pair of firemouths or convicts if the tank is long.
personally i'd have pseudocrenilabrus nicholsii, or convicts

as far as cleaning sand what all does it take to clean it. with my other tank i have a gravel vaccum. what do i need with sand any suggestions on the type of sand?

pool filter sand all the way! my big mistake was going for play sand, but it works for some people. what you ahve to do with mine is get a med size siphoner and dig it into all of the sand in and out like you would gravel, as this oxygenates it. otherwise it goes all blue and smelly. when all the new water is in, there is all the sand from the siphoning at the bottom of the bucket so i hand scoop that into a bowl and spread it in the tank. long messy process but works and looks prettier than gravel imo.
i think some sands you can just suck the poop etc off the top, but mine obviously doesnt work that way!

Man there is a wide variety of cichlids. IMO don't ever go with convicts. The breed like rats and when it comes down to getting rid of the fry it may be hard to get rid of. The Lfs doesn't always except them so take caution. My favorite is frontosa so just Cruz the net and see when ur lfs gets there new fish shipments.

yeah but bear in mind how small the tank... frontosa are NOT gonna suit it ha. you need to look at th 4"-6" fish range, and i agree breeding patterns should be taken into account. but mostly look at the one's you'll be happy with for however long! xx

Back
Top Bottom