Thinking about starting a small tank as a gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about starting a small 29 gal tank as a gift for a relative
I was wondering about the stock for it as this person likes-
Tiger Barbs
Angelfish
Zebra Danios
Gourami
Guppies
I'd like to get a very unique community with lots of fake plants(since live requires a little more effort and time and money) or slate and sand in matching colors with very colorful fish or just a large piece of driftwood
Anyone have any stock suggestions incorporating one or more of these fish? I already have plenty of guppies so if this gets done once I do my ninety they will probably be in there too

I keep Angels and Gouramis successfuly in my tank, they get along great! They are Red Honey Gouramis amd Koi Amgels. These Gouramis domt get much bigger than the dwarf varieties. I just chamged to sand about a month ago, and with its ease of maintainance and attractiveness, i'd never go back to gravel! How about some bogwood with java fern as a centre piece? Lucky relative! :)

Samzter said:
Just another question emerald , how many tanks do you have??? :D

1 going on two this one would be three if I decide on it as the gift

I would think about the tiger barbs and angel fish. The barbs could get nippy. If your set on the angel and want barbs, may I suggest rosy barbs in place of the tigers.

I would make sure the relative wants an aquarium to start with, and to some a 29 gal isn't small. Myself I would be thrilled if a family member wanted to give me this kind of gift! :)

I agree with Ocean. First, make sure that your relative wants the tank. Will he/she be expected to feed the fish daily, do the waterchanges, keep up maintenance, etc., or are you planning on doing all of that for them?

I've always heard that you never give someone a pet as a surprise gift--unless you're sure they want to take care of the gift for the next several years.

1- The person likes fish and has cared for fish many times before permanently. Please note that I am not sure if this is the gift they will be getting
2- i was not saying that would be the stock list those are just the fish this person likes as I said!

Back
Top Bottom