Thinking brackish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rlavassor86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just acquired a used 60 gal that in thinking I want to set up as brackish and do a species tank with some type of goby. I also would like it planted and have been doing research on it. I'm just looking for some input from people who have first hand experience with this. Is it any harder to keep the plants healthy? What are some good starter brackish plants? I've read about some but the sources I read didn't list any difficulty of care info on any of the brackish plants. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I believe bumblebee gobys live in brackish. They are a bit territorial so need like 10 gallons to them selves or per 2 10 gallons. I think mollies are brackish. I'm not sure if others

CharlieKlein said:
I believe bumblebee gobys live in brackish. They are a bit territorial so need like 10 gallons to them selves or per 2 10 gallons. I think mollies are brackish. I'm not sure if others

The only thing about the bbg I don't like is that as it gets older it needs to be acclimated into full marine environment. Yea Mollys are brackish fish as well as platys and guppys and I think swordtails are too.

Molly's are brackish, but I don't think Guppies or Platys are.
Maybe look into a puffer tank? There are a few good brackish puffers out there, with a 60 gallon, you could possibly keep 2, maybe 3 depending on the species, decor, etc. Maybe Figure 8 puffers, or Green Spotted (although I think they prefer full marine when older).
I had a puffer in my salt water tank when I younger, asn he was by far my favorite fish. Great personalities. :)

Yeah puffers are great! But most are very small. If you could find some that could tolerate like 10 of their own kind, and get like 2 different species its look great

Dragon goby
Dragon goby
Dragon goby
Dragon goby

I like dragon gobies
Aka. Violet goby
Or dragon fish or violet dragon fish

Kimlafeiet said:
Molly's are brackish, but I don't think Guppies or Platys are.
Maybe look into a puffer tank? There are a few good brackish puffers out there, with a 60 gallon, you could possibly keep 2, maybe 3 depending on the species, decor, etc. Maybe Figure 8 puffers, or Green Spotted (although I think they prefer full marine when older).
I had a puffer in my salt water tank when I younger, asn he was by far my favorite fish. Great personalities. :)

Everything I've read said that platy and guppy are brackish but will tolerate fresh for the duration of there lives with no ill effects but in wild they often inhabit brackish water. I do like puffers and my wife absolutely adores them. She was begging me to buy one for my tropical tank until I explained to her why we can't have one and why the LFS is wrong for selling them as FW. I'm just not positive what one I'd like if I do go with the puffers. I also really like the violet goby but have heard they are hard to keep if they are in a tank with anything else due to poor vision so they get out competed for food. I suppose I need to decide which type of brackish setup I'd like. I really like the idea of the mangrove, which would push me more in the direction of gobys. There's just so many options and I'm getting more excited talking about it. This is probably going to be a lengthy project though. I wanna start cycling soon but would like to make sure I've got the hang of keeping plants and everything healthy before I add any live stock.

Edit: so I just looked again and I'm seeing conflicting info. Some say platy are brackish others say FW. The source that states FW also said that they will tolerate brackish water.

Yes, green spotted puffers do indeed need to be in full marine as adults.
I have never read the bumblebee gobies need to be in full marine as adults. I am 90% positive they should be in brackish their entire lives except when breeding, which occurs in FW.
If you are into puffers, you could do two, maybe three green spotted puffers.
A tank full of mollies, even.

Here's a curveball...

Celebes rainbowfish, Marosatherina lidigesi. Not too brackish, though. Something in the range of 1.003 to 1.006.

David

Good suggestion David. That reminded me. If you wanted to do something REALLy different, (and expensive) you could do Upae 'Ula Super Shrimp. Easy to take care of, no live plants needed, minimal water changes, live for 20+ years and breed easy too.

DavidAl said:
Here's a curveball...

Celebes rainbowfish, Marosatherina lidigesi. Not too brackish, though. Something in the range of 1.003 to 1.006.

David

Thank you for that! Them are some really cool looking fish. It would be pretty awesome to have a big school of them. I've been doing some reading up on them but my eyes are getting too heavy to continue lol. Definitely a top candidate.

Well the project is being put in hold for now. My car had to go to the shop for repairs and thats going to drain the money I saved up for this tank. Hopefully this summer I'll get it up and running.

Back
Top Bottom