Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bigger the better! Really, 29g is still considered a nano but you'll be able to keep lots more stuff and have more stable parameters. The only thing that's really going to be the budget factor between a 5 gallon and a 29 gallon is the lights. It's a lot more expensive to light a 29g for corals than a 5g. Craigslist would be your friend, though.

Good luck! The best learning is through trial and error and I hope it's not an expensive learning experience! lol

scottayy said:
The bigger the better! Really, 29g is still considered a nano but you'll be able to keep lots more stuff and have more stable parameters. The only thing that's really going to be the budget factor between a 5 gallon and a 29 gallon is the lights. It's a lot more expensive to light a 29g for corals than a 5g. Craigslist would be your friend, though.

Good luck! The best learning is through trial and error and I hope it's not an expensive learning experience! lol

Trust me, after I seen this guy today I really wanted to go big! Lol! Thanks tho, I'm hoping it will all turn out good! I'm gonna search the forum or google some DIY lighting. I realllllllly want coral! Especially nems :) so pretty! My thoughts are if I can maintain something small then I will gain the confidence to go really big! Especially since I will have an empty 55g soon (which I'm really up in the air with what I'm gonna do with) since I just got a new 150 off CL an will be moving my African Cichlids over too :)

Attachments

• image-3806809849.jpg
    image-3806809849.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1233747672.jpg
    image-1233747672.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 177
Use the new 20 as a sump/fuge which would bring you up to 49 gallons of space which would make parameters much easier, hide a lot of equipment, and provide a refugium for nutrient export/ pod breeding.

Mrc8858 said:
Use the new 20 as a sump/fuge which would bring you up to 49 gallons of space which would make parameters much easier, hide a lot of equipment, and provide a refugium for nutrient export/ pod breeding.

How do I do that? Idk where I would put the sump?! I was thinking about having the tank on a dresser in my room... No where to really hide a 20L lol.

You would have to either put it inside the stand (building your own stand helps alot) or you can place it next to and lower then the display tank but then it becomes a bit of an eye sore for most.

Mrc8858 said:
You would have to either put it inside the stand (building your own stand helps alot) or you can place it next to and lower then the display tank but then it becomes a bit of an eye sore for most.

Right on, yea idk how good I am at building things lol.

AndrewsPistol said:
Right on, yea idk how good I am at building things lol.

It's essentially just a box lol doesn't have to be fancy just something to hold two tanks while hiding one of them ;)

Lol, take a hammer and bust out the bottom two drawers in the dresser and drill some holes through the back.

:-D whatever it takes right!

scottayy said:
Lol, take a hammer and bust out the bottom two drawers in the dresser and drill some holes through the back.

:-D whatever it takes right!

Now that sounds like a better idea :D haha! Not too mention fun! Lol, most definitely doable!

Lol I was kinda being silly although it wouldn't be a bad idea. Sumps can always be added on and you don't really NEED a sump. If it were me, I'd run it without one first and see how you like it. And then if you decide you want the benefits of the sump, destroy the dresser lol.

Just trying to be responsible and save you from a potential headache and a broken dresser!

Lol I was kinda being silly although it wouldn't be a bad idea. Sumps can always be added on and you don't really NEED a sump. If it were me, I'd run it without one first and see how you like it. And then if you decide you want the benefits of the sump, destroy the dresser lol.

Just trying to be responsible and save you from a potential headache and a broken dresser!

Haha! Sounds so much easier than building things tho :D I actually found a 120g on Craigslist that already has a sump... I have an old motorcycle in the garage that I know nothing about and posted on Craigslist that I would trade it for fish things and someone got ahold of me and wants to trade for the 120 with stand, sump, eheim pump, tops, and all kinds of other extras, soooo Im all over it! BUT, I am extremely nervous to go that big for my first sw experience but if that deal goes through, Im contemplating using the 55 thats about to be empty for the new sw project.... Oh decisions, decisions... :whistle:

Just got a ridiculously awesome deal from a lfs about an hour and a half away... They said they will trade me live rock and live sand for a batch of P.Nyererei fry I have growing out! Now let's hope these babies grow FAST :D

Yea for real! I got my tank off of CR ... Paid 400 bucks for everything! Like a 2000 value lol

Tank, refugium, tank stand, all the plumbing, pump, and about 100 lbs of rock!

Get me posted on that project! :)

Found this on Craigslist! 150g $150.... I feel like I should snap this up quickly!!!!

Attachments

• image-864437113.jpg
    image-864437113.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image-401542306.jpg
    image-401542306.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 132
Back
Top Bottom