Thinking of upgrading to T5...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

So I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading my lights to T5 HO. I currently have a 46 gallon bowfront, which is about 20 inches deep I believe. As of now, I have water sprite and an amazon sword growing in the tank with a standard T8 single bulb fixture over a glass top. I would really like to do an open top tank, so plants grow out of the water (love that look!), and I want them to really pop. I am looking at fixtures now that sit a few inches above the water, for example:

36 in. Aqualight T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixture - 2 x 39W | ThatPetPlace.com

Since there are SO many different companies and fixtures, I'm wondering if anybody can give me their opinions and experience with theirs. Some of the few I came across were coralife, solar max, and wave point.

Also, my LFS told me that I wouldnt require C02 if I didnt plan on getting too intense with the plants. Not sure if that is entirely true or not.

Here is a current pic of my tank.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 89
2x 39watt T5's for that size tank sounds about right ... I just have a single 32 watt t8 on my 75gal so I'll let someone with personal experience advise you. Personally, I was going to commit to a dual t5, but a few weeks ago I learned that marineland is coming (MAY?) out with LED's for planted plants so I think I'll just wait.

jcolon said:
2x 39watt T5's for that size tank sounds about right ... I just have a single 32 watt t8 on my 75gal so I'll let someone with personal experience advise you. Personally, I was going to commit to a dual t5, but a few weeks ago I learned that marineland is coming (MAY?) out with LED's for planted plants so I think I'll just wait.

Thanks for the input! I actually heard about those LEDs from marineland a few weeks ago, I believe from another thread. Hmm, that's something to think about.

JoeyGeeze said:
Thanks for the input! I actually heard about those LEDs from marineland a few weeks ago, I believe from another thread. Hmm, that's something to think about.

I'm really excited about these LED's. Been wanting to upgrade my lights since summer, was going with some aqueon dual T5's.
But now, with these LED's you get the photosynthetic potential, the red and blue color spectrum for plant development, moonlight and the shimmering effect. I'm hoping they live up to hype.

jcolon said:
I'm really excited about these LED's. Been wanting to upgrade my lights since summer, was going with some aqueon dual T5's.
But now, with these LED's you get the photosynthetic potential, the red and blue color spectrum for plant development, moonlight and the shimmering effect. I'm hoping they live up to hype.

Yea they definitely seem really nice. My only concern is their price may be out of my range for spending lol. One of the fixtures I'm looking at is from Aquatic Life, which seems to be under $150. I have a feeling those new LEDs may be closer to $300!

JoeyGeeze said:
Hi all,

So I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading my lights to T5 HO. I currently have a 46 gallon bowfront, which is about 20 inches deep I believe. As of now, I have water sprite and an amazon sword growing in the tank with a standard T8 single bulb fixture over a glass top. I would really like to do an open top tank, so plants grow out of the water (love that look!), and I want them to really pop. I am looking at fixtures now that sit a few inches above the water, for example:

36 in. Aqualight T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixture - 2 x 39W | ThatPetPlace.com

Since there are SO many different companies and fixtures, I'm wondering if anybody can give me their opinions and experience with theirs. Some of the few I came across were coralife, solar max, and wave point.

Also, my LFS told me that I wouldnt require C02 if I didnt plan on getting too intense with the plants. Not sure if that is entirely true or not.

Here is a current pic of my tank.

Thank you!!

Well, I don't have any knowledge or experience of lights. I just wanted to ask if that was Spongebob's house I saw in the corner...

Silverton said:
Well, I don't have any knowledge or experience of lights. I just wanted to ask if that was Spongebob's house I saw in the corner...

LOL yes it is... And if you look closely, in the middle of the back of the tank, behind the sword plant, you will see Squidwards house haha! It's my pleco's cave, he's there all day long.

JoeyGeeze said:
LOL yes it is... And if you look closely, in the middle of the back of the tank, behind the sword plant, you will see Squidwards house haha! It's my pleco's cave, he's there all day long.

Perfect! I have a Spongebob house in my tank too!

I've got the solar max HOt5 dual output... running a 6.5k and 10k bulb on my 55g tank

Previously I had two 24" t8 strips. My sword seems to be doing better and the dwarf sag does great with the light too. Overall I'd say it is really nothing to brag about.

ALSO! I got the fixture off of Craigslist!

JoeyGeeze said:
Yea they definitely seem really nice. My only concern is their price may be out of my range for spending lol. One of the fixtures I'm looking at is from Aquatic Life, which seems to be under $150. I have a feeling those new LEDs may be closer to $300!

Agreed it may be pricey, but if it turns out to be as advertised, I can hold out till Christmas.

bigbanker said:
I've got the solar max HOt5 dual output... running a 6.5k and 10k bulb on my 55g tank

Previously I had two 24" t8 strips. My sword seems to be doing better and the dwarf sag does great with the light too. Overall I'd say it is really nothing to brag about.

ALSO! I got the fixture off of Craigslist!

My LFS store actually sells these and they look nice. My only concern with them was the LED never turns off. Since my lights are currently on a timer, I would never get to see the blue light! Haha.

I think my choice is between the Aquaticlife dual fixture or a fixture from Catalina. Maybe somebody has some experience with either of these models or brands? The Catalina fixture I seen has dual power cords to operate either 1 or 2 bulbs, that's a nice option.

I've heard, not experienced, that LEDs do not grow freshwater planted tanks as well as a T5 set up would. If that weren't the case, I would probably buy LED instead. Whatever fixture i end up with, I will probably buy led moonlights just for aesthetic value at night lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom