This irish girl needs help :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morning folks so after doing a 75% water change the results of the Api test were ph still over 7.6, high ph is down to 8.0 from 8.2, ammonia seems to be 0 from 0.25, nitrite is now showing 1.0 from over 5.0, and nitrate is showing at 5 from 10 ... Do I do another couple of water changes today?? And would I need to get a Api ph down treatment for my water ??

donna541 said:
Morning folks so after doing a 75% water change the results of the Api test were ph still over 7.6, high ph is down to 8.0 from 8.2, ammonia seems to be 0 from 0.25, nitrite is now showing 1.0 from over 5.0, and nitrate is showing at 5 from 10 ... Do I do another couple of water changes today?? And would I need to get a Api ph down treatment for my water ??

Good job, numbers are getting better, but nitrites are still high. Nitrites are even more toxic to fish than the ammonia.
Yes, my suggestion is to wait at least 12 hours, and then do another 75 % PWC (partial water change). Don't forget to add the dechlorinator to the new water before you added to the tank!
:)
Good luck

You may want to do a pwc just to reduce that nitrite reading but in general, just try to keep your ammo and nitrite at or less than 0.25, nitrate less than 40 or so.
You are better off not using any kind of chemical to adjust your ph.
It is more important to keep it stable than to try to force it up or down.
ph may drop over time but it should eventually settle, so long as it is not fluctuating, or changing too fast, most fish will adapt.

donna541 said:

I forgot to answer your ph question.
Most fish will adapt and do great to your actual pH. Don't do or add anything right now regarding pH. The pH is not a problem for you right now.

It is worst to start to add chemicals to reduce the pH. Because the fish are sensitive to pH changes!!, again, fish will love to live in a tank with a constant and steady pH ( even if is a little higher as yours ) versus in a tank with pH swings, up and down. Swings in the pH really affect the health of the fish.

Conclusion, your pH is just fine!!! :)

I forgot to answer your ph question.
Most fish will adapt and do great to your actual pH. Don't do or add anything right now regarding pH. The pH is not a problem for you right now.

It is worst to start to add chemicals to reduce the pH. Because the fish are sensitive to pH changes!!, again, fish will love to live in a tank with a constant and steady pH ( even if is a little higher as yours ) versus in a tank with pH swings, up and down. Swings in the pH really affect the health of the fish.

Conclusion, your pH is just fine!!! :)

+1 Your on your way to a cycled tank, but not there yet ... just keep on top of the PWC's, and test your parameters as the members recommend. Don't worry about pH .. fish will adapt to your source water's pH (assuming your tap). Keeping your pH stable is much more important that trying to achieve that perfect pH number.

donna541 said:

Good job on lowering your nitrite to 1ppm from 5ppm. I will not wait another 12 hours though. 1.0ppm for nitrite is still high and bad for your fish. I will do a 75% again to lower it to .25ppm. Don't worry about your pH for now.

Edit: did you just do a PWC now? Or last night?

Thanks I'm so pleased I now have a little knowledge thanks to u's :) I will wait a few hours and do another pwc ... Maybe 75%?? and forget about my ph for now ... I have not fed my babies from friday night :-( wat do u's suggest feeding wise while cycling my tank ?? Thanks x

I done a 25% last nite as it was after 12 midnight ... crazy but I didn't want my fishy's well u know dead when I woke up this morning!

donna541 said:
Thanks I'm so pleased I now have a little knowledge thanks to u's :) I will wait a few hours and do another pwc ... Maybe 75%?? and forget about my ph for now ... I have not fed my babies from friday night :-( wat do u's suggest feeding wise while cycling my tank ?? Thanks x

How come you are not feeding your fish? I would feed them everyday but don't over feed. It can contribute to your ammonia levels and algae. Fish can go for a few days without eating though. I usually feed my fish 6 days a week or less, twice a day. I read that a few days for fish without eating is healthy for them. To clear their intestinal tracts and prevent bloating and constipation.

I read on a post that while cycling a tank you should fed every few days and once ur tank is established u can then feed every day .. Aw I don't think I'm getting anything right :-(

donna541 said:
I done a 25% last nite as it was after 12 midnight ... crazy but I didn't want my fishy's well u know dead when I woke up this morning!

Thats good. Do another 75% today but not later today and that should lower your nitrite to .25ppm. You target is to keep your nitrite less than .25ppm until your tank cycles. You would base on your test on how much PWC you'll need to do. If ammonia or nitrite goes up to .50ppm, do at least a 50% to lower it down to .25ppm or less. As the other member said you would want to keep your nitrate below 40ppm. I like keeping mine between 5.ppm-20ppm.

donna541 said:
I read on a post that while cycling a tank you should fed every few days and once ur tank is established u can then feed every day .. Aw I don't think I'm getting anything right :-(

You can do that too. I won't worry about that though. With all the PWCs that you are doing, excess food or waste won't be a problem.

Thanks I will do another change now and see how we sit ... Maybe just test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and forget about the ph ones for now ??

donna541 said:
Thanks I will do another change now and see how we sit ... Maybe just test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and forget about the ph ones for now ??

Don't worry about the pH for now. You don't want to mess with the pH. Fish prefers a stable pH. Yes, just test for those 3 for now.

Hey another 75% pwc done and results are ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0 ??? I'm now lost haha do I need to do a 25% pwc to get ammonia down to 0 ... Can my nitrite and nitrate reading be right ??

donna541 said:
Hey another 75% pwc done and results are ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0 ??? I'm now lost haha do I need to do a 25% pwc to get ammonia down to 0 ... Can my nitrite and nitrate reading be right ??

Great job! Nitrite and nitrate readings are fine. It's because of all the PWCs. For the ammonia, 25% PWC won't bring it down to zero but 100% will :) it wont hurt to do another PWC later today. Just keep ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm until your tank cycles(0.0ppm ammonia and nitrite)

Cheers u think maybe a 50% later this evening would be ok ?? Any ideas just how far I'm into the cycle or to hard to say x

Check your levels later today and see if you'll need to do another PWC.

donna541 said:
Cheers u think maybe a 50% later this evening would be ok ?? Any ideas just how far I'm into the cycle or to hard to say x

That should be fine. Are you enjoying doing all the PWCs? I do :)

I think you are a week or 2 away from getting your tank cycled. That's just my guess.

Yeah I do enjoy them plus it a bonus knowing my fish are now on the road to happiness .. Thanks again for all ur help:)

Back
Top Bottom