Thise dreaded words: Goldfish Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt869

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sister bought a goldfish bowl yesterday. After setting it up and spending the night with it in her bedroom, she decided the under gravel filter is too noisy. So, she's asked me if she can run it without the filter, to which I've answered yes, but you will have to do more water changes. But I'm afraid that's where my knowledge ends on a filter less bowl. Can anyone offer me any advice on this situation? It's my younger sister who is only 12 so she does not have the money to buy a big tank. She is yet to make a decision on what to stock in it although, when it had a filter, I mentioned about having a fighter fish in there. Is that still an option? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks

Matt

:)

Really, unless it's heavily planted, it will need a filter. Shortcuts when keeping live animals is not really a good way to go.

matt869 said:
My sister bought a goldfish bowl yesterday. After setting it up and spending the night with it in her bedroom, she decided the under gravel filter is too noisy. So, she's asked me if she can run it without the filter, to which I've answered yes, but you will have to do more water changes. But I'm afraid that's where my knowledge ends on a filter less bowl. Can anyone offer me any advice on this situation? It's my younger sister who is only 12 so she does not have the money to buy a big tank. She is yet to make a decision on what to stock in it although, when it had a filter, I mentioned about having a fighter fish in there. Is that still an option? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks

Matt

:)

Yeah a male Betta will be ok. Just make sure you keep up on the water changes.

Thanks for your thoughts. How much do you recommend changing and when? Its approx 12L.
And at the risk of sounding stupid, how would the whole process work? How can the beneficial bacteria build up without a filter and with more water changes?

matt869 said:
Thanks for your thoughts. How much do you recommend changing and when? Its approx 12L.
And at the risk of sounding stupid, how would the whole process work? How can the beneficial bacteria build up without a filter and with more water changes?

It'll build up on the substrate

You eventually get a buildup of bacteria on the substrate and decor but it's nothing like you'd have with a filter.

This is a 3 gallon bowl. I highly suggest she do water changes daily. The smaller the tank, the more maintenance you have to do, and without a filter, this means TONS more maintenance. It's also a really small home for a betta. Can't she just get a 5 gallon tank?

I agree if she can get a 5 gallon with a filter it would be a heck of a lot less stressful on the fish and your sis lol.

But if nothing else 50% weekly water changes without overfeeding I believe would suffice IMO.

Fishandmusic81 said:
Try craigslist you should be able to get a small tank for a pretty cheap price theirs always 10 and 5 gallon tanks out there

Yep sometimes they give them away or sell them for like 10$.

Thanks, I'll get her to do 50% water changes twice a week, try and meet in the middle of your advice. And see how it goes. I will keep an eye out for a slightly larger tank but again it's money and it's for her room so can't be too large.
If she has no filter, what's the best way of cycling the tank, just follow the usual steps?

Um.....I'd highly recommend a test kit if you can get one. If not, I'd do more than two 50% water changes per week with a goldfish in an unfilitered uncycled bowl (they generaly need 20 gals just for one fish). Also a goldfish can't go with a betta. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Edit: nevermind, sorry, just read it again. I saw the word "goldfish" and assumed that's what you had in there! A betta at most. I usually recommend at least 5 gals for one betta but one could fit in a 3 gal but I'd try to upgrade as it grows. Also bettas need warmer water (78 degrees) so it would need a heater of some sort. I'd keep the water very clean by doing 50% water changes every couple of days (using dechlorinator of course) and don't overfeed (2-3 betta pellets twice a day is plenty). Bettas are prone to bloat and fin rot so keep the water pristine and heated and don't feed too much.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys, will pass on the info and try to help all I can to keep that water quality pristine :)

What I recommend for that bowl is to get a CFL lamp and heavily plant the bowl with like mosses, anubias, maybe some Dwarf Hair Grass, Bamboo, cambomba, etc. From there I would only suggest to stock it with a snail and a few Amano/Ghost/Cherry Shrimp.

At Walmart they sell a 5 gallon kit for $27. All you need from there is decor and a heater. I suggest go this root, but it is your sisters choice. It will be easier in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom