Thorichthys maculipinnis or passionis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well Friday I went and picked up what was listed as a (yellow firemouth) Thorichthys passionis How ever today I was cleaning off the junk on my dining room table and came across the receipt and its skew # came up as a (Red Aureum) Thorichthys maculipinnis . So either way I'm happy but now wondering what I really have. I will try to post some pictures but I did a water change today and hit the tank trim with my elbow hard enough that I should have glass on the floor. Thank god I don't but all the fish aren't too happy with me and head for cover when I go near the tank. Are there any definite differences between the 2 that would give it away while still small?

Probably the best I can do until they calm down from my hitting the tank

Attachments

• thorichthys1.jpg
    thorichthys1.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Thorichthys2.jpg
    Thorichthys2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 120
  • Thorichthys3.jpg
    Thorichthys3.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 123
Well Friday I went and picked up what was listed as a (yellow firemouth) Thorichthys passionis How ever today I was cleaning off the junk on my dining room table and came across the receipt and its skew # came up as a (Red Aureum) Thorichthys maculipinnis . So either way I'm happy but now wondering what I really have. I will try to post some pictures but I did a water change today and hit the tank trim with my elbow hard enough that I should have glass on the floor. Thank god I don't but all the fish aren't too happy with me and head for cover when I go near the tank. Are there any definite differences between the 2 that would give it away while still small?

I think someone put the wrong sku. The pics you posted before is definitely a yellow firemouth or T pasionis. They do have red aureum but they look different because I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think someone put the wrong sku. The pics you posted before is definitely a yellow firemouth or T pasionis. They do have red aureum but they look different because I have one.

Just put up a few more pics at the same time you posted. Either way the price was the same. I just want to be sure on what I have. Thanks Cichlid ism

Just put up a few more pics at the same time you posted. Either way the price was the same. I just want to be sure on what I have. Thanks Cichlid ism

Your welcome. That's a good looking fish, I regret not getting one. Oh well, maybe next time :)

I think you are right Looking at google pictures the Thorichthys maculipinnis don't have the black along the tip of the anal fin that mine has.

Although I don't recall pasionis having that much spangling, even at larger sizes. Maculipinnis for sure has lots of spangling

Although I don't recall pasionis having that much spangling, even at larger sizes. Maculipinnis for sure has lots of spangling

Thanks Freakgeko Not the best camera. hes about 2 1/2" and came from aquarium adventure so im sure not the most pure breeding.

Doesn't look like Pasionis to me, they tend to have a lot more yellow. Might be easier to tell when you've had him a while and he colours up a bit.

My vote would be for Thorichthys maculipinnis due to the spangleing already starting to show. But I thinking only an expert that has really studied Thorichthys could say for 100% what type of Thoricthys it is as a juvie. As Juvies they all look a like.

My original gut reaction was maculipinnis (you'll see them listed as Eliotti or Elliot's cichlid quite a bit, ellioti is just an outdated species name) and I'm gonna stick with that. Passionis doesn't have spangling most of the time, and when they do, an adult has about as much as yours has already. I personally love maculipinnis and is probably my favorite of the thorichthys

It listed as a RED AUREUM on the sales receipt but was listed as a yellow firemouth on the tank.

Yea I'm leaning to maculipinnis I noticed a pink hue to the belly today so between that and the spangling I'm fairly sure

Could potentially be thorichthys aureum too

Thanks freakgeko add another one to the list of could be's. Lol Ill give it a month or two. This is reminding me of the little geos I had thst were supposed to be tapajoes and Cbourg kept coming up with different names.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He started to show some color today and yes the little snot brought ich home with him.
temp is up and water change every 48 hours...always works for me.

Attachments

• IMAG1060.jpg
    IMAG1060.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG1062.jpg
    IMAG1062.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 93
Looking good. Like you said the ich is easy to clear up. Just raise the temp. I add salt to mine when killing ich.

All Thorichthys will get spangling early on, it's just a trait of the genus.

What store did you get these from? Pasionis, Aureum and maculipinnis are not that common in your every day LFS.

Maculipinnis would be the most likely culprit, Pasionis have a completely different head shape than the majority of the Thorichthys.

Back
Top Bottom