Thoughts on blood parrot cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for the record. I only get my mammalian companians from animal shelters or in one instance from the back of a pick-up truck at wal-mart. So don't worry Christmasfish, I don't support the dog and cat breeders who select for traits that are at the expense of the health of the animals. I appreciate your insight into the breeding of persians and pugs, etc. The only reason I feel o.k. with blood parrots is because I havn't seen evidence that their lives are compromised due to their abnormalities. If I learn differently, then I would, of course, feel differently about them as well.
-Mark

There's several things, actually, as mentioned earlier in the thread, there's the issues with their mouths, also, the 'normal' Blood Parrots are usually plagued with health problems as they get older, thats not to mention what the 'colored parrots' go through. Lastly, the thing which is probably the worst, is what some Asian fish farms, that mass produce these fish, as well as Flowerhorns, toss their culls of these fish that are not asthetically pleasing, into local waterways, which causes incomprehendable damage to local species, dont support the breeding of these fish, it may seem innocent, just buying a different looking fish for your tank, but by buying these animals, these destructive practices are getting the support they need to continue what they're doing.

If one supports "mutation breeding" in fish, cats and dogs.

Would one support "cloning" in mice, sheep, cattle or humans as well?

Things that make you say HUMMMM

There's a big difference, mutations as such, in fish, cats, and dogs, are just varieties of one species, hybrids, such as Blood Parrots are completely different, they're not simply a mutation, they're a minipulation of two or more species, into one really messed up fish. Morally, hybridization is wrong, as is cloning.

Ideally there is a big difference too between Line Breeding (which is between 2 of the same animals) and the creations of Hybrids..If it weren't for line breeding alot of pets we have today wouldn't be able to be kept as pets due to nasty temperment. I myself am ashamed to say i have contributed to the purchasing of a form of Hybrid. Anyone who owns Orandas should know that it is a cross between to totally different gold fish. (provided they did their research).

Um..Bzzzt! But you get a cookie any way gotz... :) Wrong example though.
The lionhead and the fantail that made orandas are both mutations of Carassius auratus....they ARE the same species no matter the look..just as poodles and beagles are both the same branch of canine and a fancy tail guppy is still a guppy.
All these golds are the same species
Comets Sarasa & plain
Common golds (aka feeder fish)
Fancies:
Fantails Shubunkin Ryukin Moor Ranchu
Oranda LionHead Telescope Celestial
Pearlscale Pom-pom Bubble Eye
and even crucian carp(though it is Carassius carassius and is more like a wolf to a dog).
When you talk koi then you veer away. More like a dog compared to a maned wolf or foxes. (and there is a catfish based "koi" too, but they are never as lovely as true koi and turn ugly when older)

(heh if I know anything fishy at all it is labyrinths and the golds. I can even 5 step koi)

And ideally animals shouldn't be sold so carelessly as retail does it. ideally sense should overcome greed for a fast result and keeping a breed pure should work on ALL the qualities..not what ever look the AKC decideds is a winner that season. But idealism si seen very rarely when money becomes involved. Just sticking with line breeding after the breed qualities are set is far more harmful than helpful. That is where the nasty rep for dobies and Sheperds came from. ..untrustworthy inbred animals with poor qualities set in for generations. Line breeding once it is a breed becomes all esthetic..and that is a wicked path full of inbreeding and extreme features.
Outcrosses are always needed for genetic viability and vitality. Other wise it would still be legal and accepted to marry your own sister or daughter..... :? Ask any of the many (how odd) people taking biology or even majoring in it that frequent these boards. Constant inbreeding is BAD.
And hibrids are still different from mutation. Mutations are usually a genetic response to contaminants, enviroment, and inbreeding for that matter. They occur on their own and in nature if it was a good restructure..it becomes a new sub specie. Hybrids are not taking anything in account usually but what WE want from them. If the animals are not known to mix in the wild..it is waaay unnatural for us to mix them.
And the way the parrot in particular is done it is going to pollute the gene pool of the two fish that made it. Which is why most fishy fans oppose their existence. the fish it came from were just fine and lovely . They needed no help. What's next? Keyhole rams? Or something far more harmful like using a rare species that is barely bred and waste those genes on hibrids? We are talking RETAIL here..not average Joe. And that is who is supported by purchasing these animals. I hope they never sell enough to decide to try a new hibrid. :evil:

I've been trying to inseminate my oscar with guppy sperm. I'm hoping to get an extra large guppy out of it that will have the temperment of an oscar. I love those oscars, but want the guppy coloration.
Does anyone want to place advance orders?
-Mark

p.s. - just a little late April Fools

Back
Top Bottom