Thoughts on setting up a proper receiving tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TbOnE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was givin a 10 gallon tank, and I figure it would make a perfect receiving tank, as I have trouble introducing new fish into my tank, I have tried the drip method, and combinations of floating with medication. I always get some type of disease or stress after a fish is introduced. I would appreciate some advise on how to properly set this up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I set up a 10 gallon for the same pourpose to isolate fish before introducing them into the main tank , a breeding tank or even a hospital tank if the need arises. I have no substrate just glass bottom some plastic plants ( some floating and some on the bottom) and some misc PVC pipe fittings for hiding places. It has a sponge filter and a small HOB filter as well as a heater.
My initial setup was done using some water from my already established tank and some used filter pads out of my canister filter. I left the course sponge pad in the bottom of the tank since there is not any substrate to hold any beneficial bacteria. This has worked perfect and all my water tests have been just fine.
Going to set up another this weekend actually. Just waiting till I have time to clean my other canister filter so I can use the filter pads out of it to get it started.

What is the ratio of aquarium water you use when giving a new fish a "bath"? If my ph is averaging 7.7, what should the pH of the receiving tank be? How long should the fish stay in the tank before bieng introduced? Sorry for all the questions, but I'd hate to practice on a expensive fish and it's well bieng.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom