throw away old biological filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

godkins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I notice the directions on filter media (ceramic and plastic) state to replace about a third every six months. Any comments on this? Seems like a waste of good bacteria.

It's nonsense, just want you to buy more "stuff". Never throw away ceramic media unless you have a nasty disease in the tank and you're re- booting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I definitely agree! Your tank would never have a well established colony of beneficial bacteria if you replaced that often. As said above, only replace if you have a very persistent disease or parasite that you can't seem to rid of.

Hi Bio media needs replacing periodically but only as and when needed. If its looking well soiled and seems hard to clean then I tend to replace some of the media but not ALL of it! I replace about a third of my bio media about every couple of years.

Good instinct. Sponges should be replaced when they start to degrade. There really isn't any reason to get rid of ceramic media.

Carbon, however, does lose its charge after a few weeks. At that point it becomes mechanical instead of chemical filtration. I've replaced my carbon with Purigen, another media that shouldn't need to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom