Tiger barb looks like a missing chunk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, let's go back a bit here, what are your water parameters exactly? Temp?

Temp is 78, ammo 0 nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20

Last water changes were: 20% this morning, 50% yesterday.

I had a terrible PH swing this morning, so that could have easily stressed any of the weaker fish. I added some buffer, that was apparently too much and my PH shot sky high, but I changed water fast enough that it wasn't that way very long. On top of this I added a rainbow shark today. The PH swing happened when I was matching the PH of the bag to the tank. Scared the crap out of me.

Well I'm a strong believer in natural balance, that ph additive is usually just bottled garbage, i would seriously consider looking into natural/long term ways of managing ph.. Crushed coral+ or driftwood-.. Why add the shark now?

Well I'm a strong believer in natural balance, that ph additive is usually just bottled garbage, i would seriously consider looking into natural/long term ways of managing ph.. Crushed coral+ or driftwood-.. Why add the shark now?

He's the last addition to my final stock. I started a month ago and have been slowly adding stock. I had a shark before, but he died shortly after being introduced. That was a result of poor water quality and I think I was over feeding a bit. He also never acted the way this shark does. I was expecting an active fish, and all he did was hide. This shark is much more active and doesn't hide every second of the day.

The potassium carbonate I have is a pure granule. Crushed coral is just calcium carbonate that dissolves much slower anyway. I have a bag of carbon in my canister right now that I think is going to be replaced with coral to buffer my PH. I'll try it and see how it smells.

I euthanized him this morning. He wasn't touching any food and he was barely moving. I have post mortem pictures, and I'm surprised he lived this long. The wound is into the muscle.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This it's the good and bad side, ready to tell the difference.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390232540279.jpg
    1390232540279.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 42
  • 1390232558710.jpg
    1390232558710.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 44
I euthanized him this morning. He wasn't touching any food and he was barely moving. I have post mortem pictures, and I'm surprised he lived this long. The wound is into the muscle. Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Sorry to hear, sometimes the tough choice is the right one, if it was suffering and wasting away than you did the right thing.

Sorry if I'm butting in, I would just like to add your fish looks more like a juvenile ruby barb to me. I have both tigers and ruby barbs, and that definitely looks more like a ruby to me.

Sorry if I'm butting in, I would just like to add your fish looks more like a juvenile ruby barb to me. I have both tigers and ruby barbs, and that definitely looks more like a ruby to me.
Come on, fish are dying here, if you look at the pic in the beginning of the thread you'll have no doubt that it is a tiger barb.

Didn't mean to cause any offence at all...I have looked at the picture. Like I said, I have tiger barbs and ruby barbs. That fish looks like a juvenile ruby barb. They are very similair to tiger barbs when young, and are often mislabeled. This pic is a young ruby barb, very similar as you can see...

Definitely less aggressive, my tiger barb tank is quite peaceful anyway but they don't do half as much nipping as the "real" tigers who will have little quarrels during feeding time. The two of them keep to themselves most of the time, will be pretty interesting to see how they turn out! Sorry, I'm hijacking this thread :ermm:

Very cool! yah, sorry op, but it is always nice to get a bit if free info along the way..

Back
Top Bottom