Tiger Barb mating question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, how do they do this? I see one Tiger Barb I have that is stressed out and color faded while another one constantly chases and nudges it. When the chaser (male I assume?) nudges next to the other one, they both kinda vibrate quite rapidly as the chaser seems to attempt to "curl" around the other one. Is this mating or something? I've never seen this before. They've only been in this new tank for around 48 hours or so. I don't know how to sex them but the one that's chasing the other has a bright red nose and is a little smaller.

Moved to breeding.

It sure sounds like breeding behavior. The males are smaller and more brightly colored.

That's exactly what I was thinking... after only 48 hours? So that's normal then for the female to be faded in color and stressed from the possible gyrating mating dance? The male was brightly colored and not faded at all. I've never seen them, or any other fish for that matter, mate but it sure resembled something to that effect to me. The male wasn't nipping at her... just nudging. So... what happens now?

Back
Top Bottom