Tiger Barbs & BA Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 36-gallon with sand and artificial plants. I have 8 Buenos Aires tetras. Would it be OK to add 4 tiger barbs to the tank? I was going to get a pair of Bolivian rams, but the employee at Petsmart told me the BA would peck at their fins.

:thanks:

Really? You think two rams would be safe? I don't think I have room for eight Tiger Barbs.

You would have room for 8 tiger barbs. Are the BA tetras all thats in there right now? If you get a M/F pair, you could have two rams.

For how long? Both tiger barbs and buenos aires tetras are incredibly boisterous compared to bolivian rams, and if they aren't, then they are probably not mature. I honestly would not recommend either of these species as tank mates for the rams, especially in a 36 gallon, which I'm assuming is either the standard bowfront (essentially a tall 29) or the corner bow (which iirc is even shorter than a 29). I anticipate that you would eventually have trouble getting food to the rams.

For how long? Both tiger barbs and buenos aires tetras are incredibly boisterous compared to bolivian rams, and if they aren't, then they are probably not mature. I honestly would not recommend either of these species as tank mates for the rams, especially in a 36 gallon, which I'm assuming is either the standard bowfront (essentially a tall 29) or the corner bow (which iirc is even shorter than a 29). I anticipate that you would eventually have trouble getting food to the rams.

You got me there. I didn't keep the BAs for very long because they were so hard on my plants. Do you feel they would nip the ram, or just compete for food? My BAs didn't seem to notice my ram.

I feel like either would be a possibility, but it's more likely that you'd just have feeding difficulties. The larger tetras are like that with a lot of fish IME.

I once kept a pair of 8" wild Rotkeil severums in a 120 gallon with 8 or 10 colombian tetras (very similar in size/behavior to BA). I honestly got to the point where I had trouble getting food to my severums and they were hiding all the time. I ended up rehoming the tetras and the severums spawned the next week after several years in my tanks. LOL. Bolivian rams are pretty laid back fish overall, so it just wouldn't be a combination I would try. :)

I got two Bolivian rams, so I hope it works out. I got them sinking pellets that the BA's have left alone so far.

I feel like either would be a possibility, but it's more likely that you'd just have feeding difficulties. The larger tetras are like that with a lot of fish IME. I once kept a pair of 8" wild Rotkeil severums in a 120 gallon with 8 or 10 colombian tetras (very similar in size/behavior to BA). I honestly got to the point where I had trouble getting food to my severums and they were hiding all the time. I ended up rehoming the tetras and the severums spawned the next week after several years in my tanks. LOL. Bolivian rams are pretty laid back fish overall, so it just wouldn't be a combination I would try. :)

Gotcha. I have Praecox rainbows, harlequin rasboras, hatchets, and rummy nose tetras with my Bolivian and to make sure he gets his fair share, I always feed some flakes first to draw everyone up, then some sinking cichlids pellets for the ram. That way, he seems to always eat plenty. May be a different story with the BAs, though. They are definitely very active, even as juveniles.

I got two Bolivian rams, so I hope it works out. I got them sinking pellets that the BA's have left alone so far.

Let us know how it goes. I know I was adding my two cents' worth on the other thread you had running about this, too, so I hope I didn't lead you astray. How long have you had your BAs?

Gotcha. I have Praecox rainbows, harlequin rasboras, hatchets, and rummy nose tetras with my Bolivian and to make sure he gets his fair share, I always feed some flakes first to draw everyone up, then some sinking cichlids pellets for the ram. That way, he seems to always eat plenty. May be a different story with the BAs, though. They are definitely very active, even as juveniles.

See, if the question had been whether your current stock would be compatible in the long term, I would have said definitely yes. BAs are very different from the fish you have. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

See, if the question had been whether your current stock would be compatible in the long term, I would have said definitely yes. BAs are very different from the fish you have. :) Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the dialogue. I love the opportunity to learn from more experienced fish keepers! :)

If u add tiger barbs it has ti be a couple of them because they will be picking in the tetras

Dani c.

Sinking pellets are great, but take a great deal of time and effort to feed your fish without loading your tank with food. Get some ambitious Cories if you follow through with this.

Cories would help clean leftover pellets? They're compatible BA's and the rams?

Thanks!

Yeah, watching these rams, there's no way they're going to compete for flake food at the surface. They haven't been touching the pellets yet.

If you're having trouble getting them to eat, you might try some frozen foods like bloodworms or brine or mysis or something. I have some fish that will not reliably eat any prepared foods after nearly 3 months, lol. Rams are usually pretty easy to get onto pellets though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

OK, thank you. Would a couple of cories help clean up leftover pellets? Would they be compatible with the BA's and rams? Is it OK to just get 2?

Back
Top Bottom