Tiger Lotus Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any tips on how to keep a tiger lotus from putting out floaters? I got one that I have had for 2 months now that has yet to put out any leaves that stay low. I've been staying on top of it trimming off as many leaves as possible, and not letting any of them actually make it to the surface. Don't
know what else to try.

Well, I have one coming in the mail, and I was actually hoping to see some feedback on this as well.... Anyone else?

Patience and luck!

Everyone says that you just need to keep trimming the tall leaves and it will give up. I don't know if I would fully agree. I kept trimming the tall leaves but sometimes it still did not stay low/dense all the time.

I accidently left the lights on for a whole weekend and ALL the leaves grew to the top (or close to it). The same thing happened when I raised the temperature to fight some ick. Other times it would be perfect for a little while but slowly creep higher for no aparent reason.

In my experience, this plant will not be the "perfect" size and shape very often - but it is worth waiting for.

Good luck. (yur gonna need it)

What if you were to jaggedly cut the tall leaves? I know if you cause a non-clean cut on grass and other plants that point will generally not grow any more, and might keep the plant from sending leaves up so high.

I cut off leaves on my tiger lotus when they get close to the surface and so far it has worked. I haven't had one reach the surface in weeks now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep working. Also I have more plants around it now, so that could be a factor. Its not overshadowed much, but it isn't in the open like it was. So, really I'm not sure which is the reason for it not putting out tall leaves. :) If cutting off the tall leaves doesn't work for you, maybe try overshadowing it a bit with taller plants.

Back
Top Bottom