tiger oscar sick ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazymanonline

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Received 6 cichilds from liveaquaria.com 2 day.. all others are happy and active in the tank...except the Oscar...he is not eating ..no swiming just hidding behind the rock or plant all the time....is it normal ? i dont have any water test kit yet...water temp. is around 78, and it's very clear.:pthis is a pretty new tank..but i had been cycling it for almost 2 weeks with the gavel from my goldfisk tank.

thanks

First thing you need to do is grab some test kits and test for amonia and nitrites. It is possible the old bacteria was not nearly enough. On a brighter side Oscar's are very tough in my opinion.

If you do not have access to some new test kits right away, I would recommend some frequent water changes.

As a side note in the future try to limit your new additions to 2-3 fish at a time.

the oscar died yesterday....other 5 are ok !..i though the oscar is tougher too..it;s the biggest one in the tank, all others are like 1'' only...the oscar is 2'' ..sad! will have some test strips tommorow...

thanks for your tip

Sorry to hear! If I were you try and buy a different kind of test, as the strips are not as reliable. Things will get better!

Sorry to hear about your Oscar. I was a Oscar lover before i Switched over to SW...

While it seems the situation is over, maybe this will help for next time...? Both times I have purchased a young oscar they have been very reserved for the first few days. My latest one hid behind a pirate ship I have regularly for about 3 days. After that he would still go hide due to sudden movements. It takes them a while to get used to the new environment especially if they are by themselves. This probably doesn't help but I began writing before realizing my advice did not apply to your situation.

Osars sulk when bought and put in a new tank. They will do it for a week or longer if they want to. They wont eat, swim or anything, they just sit there. I highly doubt thats why yours died. I suspect Ammonia, and NitrIte Spike.

Back
Top Bottom