Tiger Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schulfer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked up two Tiger Oscars at my LFS. Really hoping I was able to get a male and female but we'll see. Anyways, does anyone have any advise for taking care of tiger oscars?

Just picked up two Tiger Oscars at my LFS. Really hoping I was able to get a male and female but we'll see. Anyways, does anyone have any advise for taking care of tiger oscars?

Good Oscar care requires a larger tank for growth, enough food as to not stunt their growth and extra filtration and water changes to maintain premium water quality. If you scrimp on any of these, your fish will suffer. :( They take a lot of work to maintain in smaller aquariums, even at small sizes. :blink:

Hope this helps(y)

For 2 full grown Oscars your gonna need a tank that's over 150 gallons for them to be really comfortable.At 14" they need lots of space and excellent filtration.

For 2 full grown Oscars your gonna need a tank that's over 150 gallons for them to be really comfortable.At 14" they need lots of space and excellent filtration.
Actually, they usually grow to 12'', also, a 120 gallon is really fine for 2 oscars, that are male and female. You don't need a tank that is really big. Only keep a single male if there is a female, or 2 Oscars if they are males.

My oscars are about 2.5" and they are currently in a 29 gal tank. I'm assuming they aren't going to grow that quick so when I get my apartment in a couple months I'm probably moving them to a 90gal or 140gal tank.

My oscars are about 2.5" and they are currently in a 29 gal tank. I'm assuming they aren't going to grow that quick so when I get my apartment in a couple months I'm probably moving them to a 90gal or 140gal tank.
How many oscars do you have? a 140 gallon tank is appropriate, but for max potential, you shouldn't use a 90 gallon tank.
Also, they're bio load is immense, so more water=more toxin diluted.

I only have two and I have other tanks in case I need to move

Usually, if it's a baby, it can grow up to 13'' in a year(optimal conditions).
My old oscar grew 11'' in a year.

You contradict yourself Fishanatic.One minute you say they usually grow to 12" the next you say they grow up to 13" in a year (optimal conditions).
Please at least be consistent!!!!

Actually, they usually grow to 12'', also, a 120 gallon is really fine for 2 oscars, that are male and female. You don't need a tank that is really big. Only keep a single male if there is a female, or 2 Oscars if they are males.

They grow larger than 12" if housed and taken care of properly. Never tell someone they dont need a big tank with oscars. The bigger the tank the better.

1st thing u need is atlest a tank of 120g.
2nd super filtration a canister filter is perfect(check GPH)
3rd don't use lotz of decoration and live plants.oscars like to remove them
4th use sand as ur substrate coz oscars like to dig
5th change 60% of water every week so that the level of ammonia decreses.water change is one of the essential condition for their growth.
6th use a thermostat and set the temperature between 22 degree C to 28. Coz they love the warm environment.its also essential for proper growth rate.
7th use good quality of pellet. I'll suggest hikari cichlid bio gold and NLS cichlid formula.tetra cichlid sticks are also good.and feed brine shrimp,cricket,beef heart occationally if u want.
8th use a water conditioner.so that ur water parameter stay at a great level.I use seachem prime.and I can bet it is the best product out there in market.
9th don't think oscar gets upto its size very slow and u get time. If all conditions are fullfilled initially at juvenile stage oscar grow very fast.even u'll surprise to see them.so try to have a big tank from the1st stage.
Hope all these info help.as a oscar keeper these are my experience.carry on and best of luck.these are the smartest fish I've ever kept.u'll be happy too.

They grow larger than 12" if housed and taken care of properly. Never tell someone they dont need a big tank with oscars. The bigger the tank the better.
Actually, when i say you don't really need a big tank, i was talking about the minimal size of what they would be good in. I know they grow larger then 12'', its all how you take care of them.

You contradict yourself Fishanatic.One minute you say they usually grow to 12" the next you say they grow up to 13" in a year (optimal conditions).
Please at least be consistent!!!!
i said 13'' in optimal conditions in a year.
12'' is the usual growth rate, and mine grew 11'' for some reason.
Better?:)

Thank you everyone for the advise. One more question. If the ones I picked up are male and female, how do they breed or does anyone have any advise on Oscar breeding.

I'd also say that If they don't get in a big enough tank soon enough, they will be stunted and would greatly affect the life span, growth, and activity

Back
Top Bottom