Time Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do your fish cope with the time change?

Many of us (reefers especially), have our lights on timers, how do you change the time back? Do you make your fish observe DST? Or do you leave the timers set for what they are and figure they will be in synch with the correct time for 6 months out of the year?

If you change the timers for DST, do you just set them back (or ahead as the case may be), or do you try to gradually change the timer?

Personally I reset the timers this morning to correspond with exiting DST, I just set them back an hour, just curious how y'all do it.

I dont really bother with it.

My timers are set to come on in late morning for most of my tanks and off around 11pm.

I adjusted mine simply for the fact that I want the lights to be on primarily when the store is open. Since the store adheres DST, obviously the tank will have to as well...

My lights are on for 10 hours a day. During daylight savings time it gouse off at midnight. That way when I turn the clocks back I leave the timer alone on the tank and it now goes off at 11pm. I don't change the timer.

i to turned my timers back. mine go off at 10:00pm, at 9:00pm it is to early i am still up, the best hour is with the actinics on. :D 8)

What we need are wireless networked timers and clocks that understand upnp, so when your pc decides to change its time the whole house follows :p

Nah that would make it too easy. :lol:

I just left mine alone however I have been debating on changing it... I think out in the wild the do not have to adhere to DST so why should they in out tanks..

James

Well, I recently added my first tank timer this summer. So I didn't even think about it until I saw this post. I think I agree with cj10488, no point in makeing them suffer even though I had too.

I have a stop watch with a alarm, since i can't see the #'s on the timer that well, I set the stop watch for an hour, and unplug the timers/lights for an hr, when the alarms goes off i plug them back in. yes my fishies observe dst. :mrgreen:

I change the timers when changing the clocks, I keep 'em on till 10 o'clock daylight savings or 10 o'clock standard.

So what is the reason for this anyway? I have heard the farmer story, but it doesn't make sense. We still get the same daylight, no matter what the clock says.

I changed my time on my fish tank because I think everyone in my "family" should suffer equally!

Back
Top Bottom